Rear wheel removale of Cruisym 300i

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Rear wheel removale of Cruisym 300i

Post by Sylar »

I have had my Cruisym for three years this month. Iam at 34067km. I changed the rear tyre at 10000km no problem. At 20000km it needed changing again all went okay until i tried to remove the Exhaust hanging bracket from the wheel ,no matter what i did it would not come off. I ended up taking it to the dealer for a new rear tyre to be fitted. They did this and said everything went okay. Today the rear tyre once again needs replacing, and once again, the bracket just will not budge. Reluctantly i have booked it in again with the dealer, it also needs an M.O.T. so that can be done at the same time. Is there some trick or measure i am missing in removing the bracket? applying heat maybe? anyone know? . On my Silverwing i have replaced rear tyres at least ten times and never had this happen.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: Rear wheel removale of Cruisym 300i

Post by Rocketman122 »

do you mean the bracket that is welded to the fat exhaust? there is usually 3 bolts connected to the swingarm.

what is exactly wrong? are you having a hard time releasing the bolts?

I would highly recommend you buy some anti seize. use a light layer on the bolts and you can use some on the back of the bracket so if its sticking it will release itself, though ive never had an issue with the bracket sticking, just bolts being difficult to remove.

the reason why anti seize is goo is the bolts catching much mud and dirt and rain and the heat cycle of the exhuast does not help. as well, the anti sezie can also help with you not cross threading the threads and the mount needs to be aligned properly and sometime we may rush and not insert the bolt stright in

a cordless impact wrench, strong enough to remove bigger bolts (also cvt/and rim bolt) are really expensive. you may consider getting a corded one. I bought a no name corded that has tons of power to take anything it was tasked to do.theyre heavy and cumbersome but do the job for not a lot of money.

another thing I may suggest is using some sandpaper and after the tire is removed, to clean the inside lip on both sides as tire residue can cake itself on it and may hinder a good seal. make sure to replace the tire valce and ask for a short valve so that it makes using the air filling easier. no not let them use long ones as they are hard to work with. youll have to flex them and over time they will crack and leak air.

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

The problem is ,after all bolts and wheel nut is removed, the casing of the swinging arm will not come off the axle. Today i took the wheel off my Silverwing ( for a New tyre to be fitted). The procedure is exactly the same as the SYM,but the swinging arm will not come away off the axle as the Silverwing does. I cannot figure out why.

Deleted User 18446

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

Probably need to tap it lightly .Put some pressure behind the swing arm put nut back on shaft backwards loosely and tap it lightly at same time pressure behind swing arm .

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

Believe me I have tapped it. I had wooden wedges behind as well as a crowbar, but I did not want to damage it, so had to be careful, but thanks for the input.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Ok Sylar, sorry to hear you keep having this issue. It's not uncommon on scooters because the drive shaft end bearing in the case gets stuck on the gearbox output shaft. This happens because of corrosion and heat. You can do as Rocketman suggests using anti-seize but in fact lithium grease, a smear of on the end of the drive shaft once you have it apart is fine and it won't seize again even if you don't take it apart for 2-3 years or more. Put a little lithium grease on the inner ring of the bearing too where it takes the drive shaft.

What you may want to do for the future is get yourself a good heat gun. If the swingarm won't come off just hit it with high heat from the gun around the axle shaft. You want to make the bearing and swingarm expand with some fast high heat. DO NOT use a flame of any kind, only the heat gun. If you do that the swingarm will come off with a sharp tap from behind or a pull from the front. In the workshop we don't mess about, we go straight in with heat if it won't budge. Always works! Worth using some wire wool to just rub around the end of the axle shaft (gearbox output shaft) to remove any major rust before applying lithium grease.

I see you seem to love your Cruisym. They do look good and seem to go ok too from what I've been told. I've not ridden one yet.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

Thankyou Data, I did think heat might be an answer. I have it booked in this time for new tyre and M.O.T. but, next time i will follow your directions , i do have a heat gun. In all other resects the Cruisym is ideal for me ,a little Silverwing, i can see over the screen and cruising at 50/60 MPH is what it was meant for. Changing brake pads very straight forward front and rear. Only issue i had, the battery failed, after filling at a petrol station, engine turned over okay but would not fire until jump started. Clock showed 10amp and that means the battery is not holding charge, three years old now. Changing to a new battery sorted that out. I am up to 34,067km now and it is a joy to ride.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Excellent! Enjoy... ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

I had my Cruisym booked in for new tyre and M.o.t. I decided to take the bike for an M. O. T. on the 13/5/21, not due test till 16/5/21. It passed. I decided to try to take the wheel off for the new tyre to be fitted, following Data's advice. Wouldn't you know it, the wheel came off with no problem's at all. New tyre now on. Just awaiting some Lithium grease to arrive before re- assembling. Must have saved at least one hundred pounds over letting dealer do the jobs.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

"Must have saved at least one hundred pounds over letting dealer do the jobs."

thats the best news yet. more money in your pocket instead of theirs. good job!