Suzuki burgman 400

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Suzuki burgman 400

Post by charles1976 »

Hi all...just about to purchase a 2 year old burgman 400, can anyone help, at what point does servicing become expensive ie, valve clearance or new belt etc... the bike I'm looking at has 2k miles on it..

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Suzuki burgman 400

Post by Data »

If it's the same as my 2012 400 Burgman that I had it's 14,500 miles when valves, belts etc need changing out. If you can diy it's not too bad. I would suggest you do not follow the advice on Burgmanusa to continue running your belt way beyond 14,500. It might well be ok for a little extra miles but we used to see them come into the workshop with broken belts even before 14,500. On the whole though, the Burgmans are solid bikes and easy to look after. Valve adjustment is easy but you do need to lift the cams to do that and re-shim if needed. It's not as hard as it sounds though. Anyone with common sense can do it. Do not ignore it like some do. It's playing Russian roulette with your engine.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

yes the guys on burgmanusa are "impressive" hahaha. they like riding their tires till its flat with no treads and some even like installing car tires, which did intrigue me to try it, but thats another subject. and they do like to run their belts longer than oem maintenance schedule recommends. a belt is not so expensive.

I have a dormant b400 I plan to have the engine rebuilt (covid threw a monkey wrench in my plans) and for now I have a sym maxsym 600 and parts for maintenance/replacement are MUCH more abundant with the the burgman and for much less. you can get a replacement aftermarket disc rotor for $50 and even a starter for cheap and tons of used parts in great consiiton . no such thing for maxsym. youre paying that $150 for the rotor. ive replaced the one on my burgman. just like oem. goiod quality. same thickness. perfect swap.

service manual is FAAAARRR more detailed and they dont speak chinglish like the sym manual which is horrific. and the burgman has sold much more and many like Data really know their stuff with the burgmans. also you have videos on how to ,by mcbergsma on youtube. he does it pretty much by the booik. you have videos for doing the valves there as well.

2k miles is baby burg. it hasnt even opened its eyes yet. make sure they did the valves at 1000miles or so.
not sure what year but if its older than 4 years. tires, fluids and battery needs to be checked

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Rocketman122 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm yes the guys on burgmanusa are "impressive" hahaha. they like riding their tires till its flat with no treads and some even like installing car tires, which did intrigue me to try it, but thats another subject.

I'm going to try this at some point. Any advice you can pass on would be appreciated.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Rocketman122 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm yes the guys on burgmanusa are "impressive" hahaha. they like riding their tires till its flat with no treads and some even like installing car tires, which did intrigue me to try it, but thats another subject. and they do like to run their belts longer than oem maintenance schedule recommends. a belt is not so expensive.

I have a dormant b400 I plan to have the engine rebuilt (covid threw a monkey wrench in my plans) and for now I have a sym maxsym 600 and parts for maintenance/replacement are MUCH more abundant with the the burgman and for much less. you can get a replacement aftermarket disc rotor for $50 and even a starter for cheap and tons of used parts in great consiiton . no such thing for maxsym. youre paying that $150 for the rotor. ive replaced the one on my burgman. just like oem. goiod quality. same thickness. perfect swap.

service manual is FAAAARRR more detailed and they dont speak chinglish like the sym manual which is horrific. and the burgman has sold much more and many like Data really know their stuff with the burgmans. also you have videos on how to ,by mcbergsma on youtube. he does it pretty much by the booik. you have videos for doing the valves there as well.

2k miles is baby burg. it hasnt even opened its eyes yet. make sure they did the valves at 1000miles or so.
not sure what year but if its older than 4 years. tires, fluids and battery needs to be checked
Actually Rocketman, I think you have become quite an authority on the Burgman 400 yourself from what I see of your posts. I was lucky to do the factory course, but you don't need bits of paper and training on that scale to find you way around a Burgman and be competent on a bike with the wrenches. There's probably guys on here that know as much if not more than me on the Burgman. I learned the "factory" way to do everything. But you guys probably know more shortcuts than me that work! I'd say well done to you! ;)

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

As usual Data is correct. If I can service most items on a Burger then anyone can. :lol:
I leave brake fluid change for the local workshop but do nearly everything else myself. The biggest PITA is removing/refitting plastic. There’s always some push clips left over, there’s always some tab that breaks, something always doesn’t line up etc etc,....but, I can live with that knowing the work has been done. icon_good-job.gif

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

BTW, my burger is 6 yrs old next month. Now on nearly 21k, still runs well and becomes more fuel efficient all the time. The ride out yesterday returned 75mpg.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

So she's well on the way to being 'run-in' Stibbs. If it's of any comfort, I've serviced a 2011 Burgman 400 with over 90,000 miles on the clock and they are still on the same engine and haven't had anything more than normal service items and other consumables such as brake pads, belts, rollers, and a new variator (at 70,000 miles but should have been done earlier), shives and a rebuilt water pump etc. All standard stuff and not expensive especially if you do it yourself which on Burgmans is a breeze. The only thing to watch out for is rust on the frame under all that plastic, and corrosion around the fuel tank seam. My fuel tank and frame rusted badly in just 5 years from new. Next time you have her apart hit the frame and fuel tank with Waxoyl. Don't use ACF50, that won't cut it as it is a short term treatment. Waxoyl is for life once done.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

Data wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:01 am
Actually Rocketman, I think you have become quite an authority on the Burgman 400 yourself from what I see of your posts. I was lucky to do the factory course, but you don't need bits of paper and training on that scale to find you way around a Burgman and be competent on a bike with the wrenches. There's probably guys on here that know as much if not more than me on the Burgman. I learned the "factory" way to do everything. But you guys probably know more shortcuts than me that work! I'd say well done to you! ;)
thank you for the kind words sir. I appreciate your help and that you share your experience with others here and with me. thank you very much. I try not to do shortcuts. I try to pay attention to all the small details. I use my torque wrenches all the time and really try to stay on top of things. I even enjoy looking through the service manual just to read and learn. thank you very much.

covid threw a monkey wrench in my plan to rebuild my b400. it sits here and im still planning to do it. I plan to replace the bearings in the crankshaft (give a better chance for the whole thing to last) , replace pistion and rings. replace the cyclinder head. supposedly I have a bent valve and I dont want to get into rebuilding that. I wont find a competent person to do it. ill get a pulled one with low miles.
the thing seems to be possesed. there is no battery inside yet after a year of sitting the gas pump (I think) is making calling sounds. like 2-3 second loud noises. sheesh
cheers!