BV350 Wind buffeting

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

BV350 Wind buffeting

Post by Bingo »

Had my new to me BV350 for a week or so now and loving it. (not loving the weather). Any excuse to go out on it will do.

On a couple of longer and faster rides I have noticed my helmet is really noisy and at times at high prolonged speed Im getting a bit of buffeting which is sometimes a bit disturbing and slightly disorientating. Most of my rides are flying up and down the big hills and twisties around the Dales so rarely over 60 mph except in short bursts so its not a problem but I think it might be if I have to sit on a motorway or duel carriageway for 50 miles.

It has I believe the stock screen and reading up on the various threads its a common problem. Trouble is I dont want to take it off completely as I read one post where the owner put it straight back on again as the chest wind was worse and I dont really want a taller screen I have to look through (I also dont like the look of them).

I wear an open face helmet and I am 5ft 10" and the screen does keep the wind off my face and chin with my visor down but if I lift my visor the buffeting on my face is unbearable at anything over 20 mph which is a shame as on my little Vision I like to ride about in summer with the visor up. Im wondering if a clip on extender for some longer trips might work. Any thoughts?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: BV350 Wind buffeting

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've found that Screen extenders / deflectors almost always give some sort of improvement - the worse the standard screen, the greater the improvement! On mine, the previous owner had managed to retrofit a Givi Aero (movable) screen - a bit higher than the standard screen - and the screen seemed OK to me.
There again, I'm not one for riding visor-up in any circumstances - too many bugs, muck, and other unidentified flying objects!

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:46 am I've found that Screen extenders / deflectors almost always give some sort of improvement - the worse the standard screen, the greater the improvement! On mine, the previous owner had managed to retrofit a Givi Aero (movable) screen - a bit higher than the standard screen - and the screen seemed OK to me.
There again, I'm not one for riding visor-up in any circumstances - too many bugs, muck, and other unidentified flying objects!
Thanks. Ill have a look for an extender. I sometimes at low speed like to have my visor up thats all but the main issue is the noise and buffeting. Its odd as I never noticed it yesterday but did today.

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

yeah i'm 6ft 1in and had the same issue. I installed a GIVI aftermarket screen which is higher than stock and screen extender and solved the problem.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Thanks. Ive had a rake around and I cant find anything thats easy to clip on and clip off. They all look like they are a semi permanent fix which I dont want to do really and I dont want a taller screen. Might have to live with it. I take it the BV350 stock screen is not adjustable? I could get some shaved off the top which I think would be pot luck as to whether it makes it better or actually worse.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You can get something like this which clip on..
https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/visors- ... onsivetab2

I'm always a bit wary of clip on ones, given the aerodynamic forces involved! I have the Puig screw-in one (requiring holes drilled in the screen), which I find pretty effective, and only £40. I think Pyramid Plastics are UK sellers.

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

I had a clip on (grub screw on really) screen on my Tenere 1200. It made a huge difference and only cost £40.
Highly recommended but do make sure it's secured properly, once done right they are fine at 'no, it wasn't me officer' speeds.

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Look through screens are the absolute nuts.

I was just like everyone else. I thought, "I don't want to view the journey through a bit of perspex" but then I realised that looking through a visor was the same thing. (I don't need a visor now)

I tried a tall screen for a week and now I would never go back. What freedom.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Typically I buy an aftermarket screen that is slightly too tall then trim it down so that when sitting upright I can see over the top but on fast going I can crouch slightly ( well slump really! ) and eliminate noise around my helmet. I also go for designs which provide flared side protection so that I very seldom need thick gloves. I have found Puig and Fabbri both pretty good but I haven't tried Givi. Strangely I have found the small OEM screen on my Triumph Tiger is much better than expected and of course my Silence S01 is too slow to bother with one. I think getting a quiet airflow is a bit of a black art.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

I fitted a Givi tall screen to my Xevo and it is great , wider at the bottom and I can see over the top or duck down a bit to get out of the wind , it does say do not use over 100kph ..whatever that means :lol: but seems ok a 70 + :roll: I have a Givi style add on that bolts through the screen and one that is held on by grub screws both from Ali express for about a tenner each .
If you want to try the grub screw type I can post it to you for beer tokens to cover postage as I am never going to use it .

Link to the screen

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290780 ... 2553007206