My Piaggio BV350 has a leak!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Re: My Piaggio BV350 has a leak!

Post by wightegi »

Euro carparts sell the correct stuff as do Halfords just get OAT antifreeze and you will be ok .

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Regarding the coolant level the sort of half moon sections that you can see from above are at different levels and the correct level will be indicated when the lower one is covered but the upper one is not. Your coolant is a bit pale in colour so I would suggest topping up with neat undiluted anti-freeze when the engine is cold. It won't take much but it will be easier to see the level.
I don't want to worry you but another source of leakage could be the water pump seal. There is a drain hole through the casting which allows any oil or water which seeps past the seal to escape. If the scooter has stood unused for a long time their could have been a small accumulation which has drained out and the seal could have bedded in after some running. Its not unusual for this to happen on a new bike and would generally dry up after running in.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

roadster wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:18 am Regarding the coolant level the sort of half moon sections that you can see from above are at different levels and the correct level will be indicated when the lower one is covered but the upper one is not. Your coolant is a bit pale in colour so I would suggest topping up with neat undiluted anti-freeze when the engine is cold. It won't take much but it will be easier to see the level.
I don't want to worry you but another source of leakage could be the water pump seal. There is a drain hole through the casting which allows any oil or water which seeps past the seal to escape. If the scooter has stood unused for a long time their could have been a small accumulation which has drained out and the seal could have bedded in after some running. Its not unusual for this to happen on a new bike and would generally dry up after running in.
Thanks for that. Im just trying the paper towel test round the hoses now. Warmed up the bike and wrapped paper towels round the ones I can get to at least which is what someone suggested on the Vespa forum I think. Small drip on the cardboard again this morning so Reckon its when it cools down which is odd as you would expect stuff to contract when cold but what do I know?

Would a litre of this stuff be ok to keep under the seat just in case? https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-q ... gKAVPD_BwE

I can finally, FINALLY can see the level indicator in the expansion pot and how (I think) it works. I was clearly looking at it from the wrong angle and it does seem about right. Its clearly not going down but then its not that big a drip.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

A really helpful member on the Modern Vespa forum from the US has sourced his own Freeze Plug for the BV350 and has some spares and will if I cant find one in the UK he has offered to send me one. Anyone know where or if I can get one in the UK though? he says its a Melling, part number MPC-108. I am just thinking ahead in case this is the issue. Would be good to have a spare for the future anyway.

Quick search I cant find one. Piaggio say they dont do them so its a whole new cylinder head but it cost this guy peanuts. Interesting thread here. https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic154029

Sorry if already posted.

To add to my woes my battery is only reading 12.8v. I did mention it on the test ride that it was quite low at 12.1. Its charging ok but not holding charge I think.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hello Bingo, if the cooling system is leaking somewhere and it's a small leak, it won't normally show when the motor is hot. It will normally only show when the motor is cold because when the motor is hot the leaking coolant evaporates very quickly so you don't see it. The cooling system on your bike is pressurised to 13psi too so this will push it out once the motor is cool.

You can use the euro car parts coolant you link to to top up, but I don't know if it meets all the full standards for you bike. You want to make sure it is up to the CUNA NC 956-16 and all the ASTM standards etc etc. I always use the COMMA 1ltr concentrate that is fully up to the spec your BEV requires. I buy the COMMA 1ltr which meets the specs for my Vespa GTS and it does I believe meet the needs of your BEV. But check the manual to make sure. It is NAPS free and has no borax or other harmful things in it.

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehi ... /298/SLA1L

Notice it is comprehensive in the standards that it meets. Remember this is the concentrate and has to be mixed with distilled water or de-ionized water.

For information, Mono-ethylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol are the same thing. Your manual may ask for Mono Ethylene Glycol OAT meeting the standards mentioned above.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:28 pm Hello Bingo, if the cooling system is leaking somewhere and it's a small leak, it won't normally show when the motor is hot. It will normally only show when the motor is cold because when the motor is hot the leaking coolant evaporates very quickly so you don't see it. The cooling system on your bike is pressurised to 13psi too so this will push it out once the motor is cool.

You can use the euro car parts coolant you link to to top up, but I don't know if it meets all the full standards for you bike. You want to make sure it is up to the CUNA NC 956-16 and all the ASTM standards etc etc. I always use the COMMA 1ltr concentrate that is fully up to the spec your BEV requires. I buy the COMMA 1ltr which meets the specs for my Vespa GTS and it does I believe meet the needs of your BEV. But check the manual to make sure. It is NAPS free and has no borax or other harmful things in it.

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehi ... /298/SLA1L

Notice it is comprehensive in the standards that it meets. Remember this is the concentrate and has to be mixed with distilled water or de-ionized water.

For information, Mono-ethylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol are the same thing. Your manual may ask for Mono Ethylene Glycol OAT meeting the standards mentioned above.
Really helpful thanks. This is what the manual says

Ethylene glycol-based antifreeze fluid with organic inhibition additives. Red, ready to
use.
ASTM D 3306 - ASTM D 4656 - ASTM D 4985 - CUNA NC 956-16

Anyway it looks like Im riding down to the dealers tomorrow and they are going to check it while I wait. I guess they will need to let it cool first though. They will do a full system flush as well.

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

The coolant tank looks full on the video.
Go for a few long rides, preferably with a mate in case the worst happens! If it goes bang it's best it does that while you're in the warranty period.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

steve_h80 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm The coolant tank looks full on the video.
Go for a few long rides, preferably with a mate in case the worst happens! If it goes bang it's best it does that while you're in the warranty period.
Its going to get a good ride out tomorrow weather permitting as Im taking it back to the dealer 70+ miles down the motorway and then hopefully if there is time a 100 mile cross country trip back up through most of Yorkshire to Richmond / Barnard Castle.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Bingo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 pm
steve_h80 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm The coolant tank looks full on the video.
Its going to get a good ride out tomorrow weather permitting as Im taking it back to the dealer 70+ miles down the motorway and then hopefully if there is time a 100 mile cross country trip back up through most of Yorkshire to Richmond / Barnard Castle.
Hope the weather holds for you! Getting an eye test in as well, with the side trip? :lol:
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

blackmoon181
Current Ride: SH300i + NC750x

Post by blackmoon181 »

Bingo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:21 pm A really helpful member on the Modern Vespa forum from the US has sourced his own Freeze Plug for the BV350 and has some spares and will if I cant find one in the UK he has offered to send me one. Anyone know where or if I can get one in the UK though? he says its a Melling, part number MPC-108. I am just thinking ahead in case this is the issue. Would be good to have a spare for the future anyway.

Quick search I cant find one. Piaggio say they dont do them so its a whole new cylinder head but it cost this guy peanuts. Interesting thread here. https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic154029

Sorry if already posted.

To add to my woes my battery is only reading 12.8v. I did mention it on the test ride that it was quite low at 12.1. Its charging ok but not holding charge I think.
interesting thread! if it is the freeze plug you should be able to see if its coming from there, inform the garage and cover under warranty. if all goes well, new head time! freeze plug repair looks interesting if not for the faint of heart. definately persue the dealer. Water pump leak is a consideration aswell. again easy to spot via the weep hole if the seal is passing. looking at the drips in the video. doesn't look to be the case but could be wrong.

regarding battery voltage, 12.8 v is nothing to be concerned about. after your test ride providing it was "long enough" for the charging system to do its thing it shouldn't be that low. I take it you were watching the voltage read out on the dash? was it sitting around the 14.4v mark when you are riding? nevertheless when you are at the dealer, get them to load test the battery for you. they aren't mega expensive to replace but again something the dealer should have sorted if to be the case.