My Piaggio BV350 has a leak!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Re: My Piaggio BV350 has a leak!

Post by Bingo »

Thanks again. Will just have to monitor the battery but sadly I think I still might have a leak.

Amazingly the next day after the long and wet ride home there was no crud or leaks on the cardboard on the garage floor.

We took the bike out yesterday for about 25 miles or so, parked it up, left it overnight and I went to check just now and there is another puddle right in the same place. At least you can see what it is now with the new orange coolant.

The lads in the garage did say that there might be a bit of coolant spillage to come out and I think they maybe slightly overfilled it but it looks like the same leak to me. Ill just have to monitor it and see if it dries up over the next week I think.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Still another puddle this morning so I cant see how its the pressure of maybe too much coolant pushing it out somewhere. Same spot right at the back and when I started it up there was smoke coming out the panels and around the engine and rear. Presumably spilt coolant burning off. It stopped after a while. Now the flaming centre stand doesn't spring up properly either.

Rode ok though. Did about 10 miles. No overheating and seems fine. Ill check the coolant levels later when its cooled down. Getting a bit disheartened with it all now.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Ok, so Bingo this is not too out of character to find this leak. It's probably nothing other than the new hose clip not being tight enough. What happens is that the 'one time use' very narrow hose clip that was originally causing the leak has now been replaced with a screw type worm drive hose clip. These are difficult to get a proper seal with sometimes because they are much wider than the original factory hose clips. The factory clips are from memory 9.1mm wide but nearly all worm drive screw type are 11-12mm in width. The factory hose clip has made a rut in the hose exactly 9.1mm wide. This means the wider screw type clip won't compress down properly on the hose and they leak. Often re-tightening the clip will fix it but sometimes it won't and you need either a factory one time use clip again, or to use some coolant friendly sealant inside the end of the hose and a little on the radiator pipe. Refit the hose and leave for several hours before refilling with coolant. If you need to do that I can tell you what sealant to use but can't think of the name right now. But it's a special one for this purpose and it's quite widely used in workshops and by diy'ers for this very purpose.

Question: is the coolant leak now as big as it was previously?

Something else to consider is that the radiator might have a small leak which shows up after cooling down, which is the normal way these things go. Leaks like this can be hard to find but a pressure test would help. But if it's smoking a bit from a coolant leak on start up this indicates the leak could be more engine related. Don't panic but watch carefully to see if you can find a trail leading back to the cylinder head or a hose around there. You may need a good torch and some time to check her when she is cold to see where it's coming from. The new coolant with it's more coloured appearance may help.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am Ok, so Bingo this is not too out of character to find this leak. It's probably nothing other than the new hose clip not being tight enough. What happens is that the 'one time use' very narrow hose clip that was originally causing the leak has now been replaced with a screw type worm drive hose clip. These are difficult to get a proper seal with sometimes because they are much wider than the original factory hose clips. The factory clips are from memory 9.1mm wide but nearly all worm drive screw type are 11-12mm in width. The factory hose clip has made a rut in the hose exactly 9.1mm wide. This means the wider screw type clip won't compress down properly on the hose and they leak. Often re-tightening the clip will fix it but sometimes it won't and you need either a factory one time use clip again, or to use some coolant friendly sealant inside the end of the hose and a little on the radiator pipe. Refit the hose and leave for several hours before refilling with coolant. If you need to do that I can tell you what sealant to use but can't think of the name right now. But it's a special one for this purpose and it's quite widely used in workshops and by diy'ers for this very purpose.

Question: is the coolant leak now as big as it was previously?

Something else to consider is that the radiator might have a small leak which shows up after cooling down, which is the normal way these things go. Leaks like this can be hard to find but a pressure test would help. But if it's smoking a bit from a coolant leak on start up this indicates the leak could be more engine related. Don't panic but watch carefully to see if you can find a trail leading back to the cylinder head or a hose around there. You may need a good torch and some time to check her when she is cold to see where it's coming from. The new coolant with it's more coloured appearance may help.
Thanks for that comprehensive and helpful reply. I think the leak is worse but it could just be that its more obvious because the liquid is orange.

To be honest, I have kind of had enough really. I think the dealer should take it back and have it for a few days and sort it. I have really bad Arthritis and I cant really get down underneath it very well and I am not at all mechanically minded. I have said I will give it a few days to see if it sorts itself out but I dont think it will. I kind of regret buying it now as it was clear it had not been used for a while with the MOT gaps but I do love the bike, its perfect for what I wanted. The excitement after a year of looking has been somewhat spoiled though. Im sure it will get sorted though hopefully.

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

My 2p- Take it back as soon as possible and insist that the dealer fix it to your satisfaction. Every day you sit waiting for it to fix itself is a day closer to when you are on your own with it.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The stand probably just needs a bit of lubrication - they get covered in gunge on muddy roads. I'm always doing the Tmax ones!!!

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Red Dog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:31 pm My 2p- Take it back as soon as possible and insist that the dealer fix it to your satisfaction. Every day you sit waiting for it to fix itself is a day closer to when you are on your own with it.
I think as I went to the bother of riding it 70+ miles to the dealer last time, then sat for six hours while they dealt with it and then rode it home in the monsoon from hell the dealer should pick it up this time. My reasoning for that is that I think they need it for a few days. I think it needs to be stripped down but then run up to full heat and then allowed to cool overnight so it should then be obvious where this leak is coming from. I dont want it back until its 100% sorted and if they cant sort it sadly and with great regret as I love the bike I will have to reject it. Im not worried about the warranty expiring which will be next week I think as all this was brought to the dealers attention within about a week of purchase. They are a reputable dealer with a very good reputation so I am sure they will want to get it resolved. Its extremely frustrating though. I think I would be more annoyed if the weather wasnt so shite! :D

hatter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH 300

Post by hatter »

We all have problems like this occasionally when you ride scooters. TBH it probably is a couple of easy fixes but you nor the dealer have not had much luck.
Rejecting the scoot under the Sale of Goods Act is one option and may focus the dealers mind but I think he may want one more chance at resolving the issues first.
Good luck, Hatter

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:54 am The stand probably just needs a bit of lubrication - they get covered in gunge on muddy roads. I'm always doing the Tmax ones!!!
Yep, in winter this is a constant thing to keep on top of. Any long ride in the wet or on muddy country roads will produce the need to de-gunge and lubricate the stand spring/s. Reminds me, I must remove my stand and give it a good clean and repaint this summer. I've done the exhaust after the winter ravages, but can't stand the site of a messy stand. Ok I'm a bit anul about it, I admit! :o And that's another thing, can't stand a dirty bottom!! :lol: talking about the scooter of course... :o :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

hatter wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:51 am We all have problems like this occasionally when you ride scooters. TBH it probably is a couple of easy fixes but you nor the dealer have not had much luck.
Rejecting the scoot under the Sale of Goods Act is one option and may focus the dealers mind but I think he may want one more chance at resolving the issues first.
Good luck, Hatter
I agree with your comments but one small point, the legislation is now The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which replaces three earlier acts including the Sale of Goods. It grants 30 days from the date of taking ownership to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund. This site has further information:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... JYx8n5KiSl