My Piaggio BV350 has a leak!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Re: My Piaggio BV350 has a leak!

Post by Bingo »

Thanks once again. I have sent links to this thread and the one on Modern Vespa to the dealer and explained that I think they need to have it for a few days for investigation. They are sending a van up for it today.

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Excellent!

Well done them.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Yes. They do seem to be doing their best to sort it. Just had an update but not sure I totally understand but it sounds like its the right area.

They think they have found the problem

Ill just copy and paste the bulk of the email and the two photos attached.

"Sidestand is sorted. Just needed some more lubrication. Must have just got crudded up and a bit dried out with your ride down here and back the other way and the rubbish weather.

We think we have identified the leak. When you lift the seat and look down on the top of the engine, there is the bleed valve for the cooling system. This is a metal valve screwed in to a plastic housing. The valve itself is not leaking, but it seems the leak is coming from the bottom of the plastic housing. As the bike hasn't been ridden since it was last leaking in your garage, the leaked fluid has blown away or burnt off, so we can see wet areas and tiny puddles of coolant up at the top of the engine right next to this plastic housing. See attached photos.

We are going to order a new plastic housing and gasket, and replace these. We will also at the same time replace the hose clamp that goes on to this housing, as from what you have researched, the original hose clamps can be quite poor.

Will be back in touch once we have an anticipated delivery date for the parts."

Hopefully thats it then. Any thoughts?

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

As per my earlier post this is a known weak point. I am having some troubles with similar materials on the battery "undercarriage" of my electric scooter, these plastics just do not have enough toughness even though they are strong in compression, and they crack or fail under tensile stress.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

A further update. Sounds promising. From the dealer.

• Centrestand (sorry for the typo last time and calling it the sidestand) – I should have clarified first time, but this has been removed completely and fully regreased.
• Leak – we have replaced the thermostat housing (this includes a new bleed valve) and gasket, and also replaced the thermostat itself (seemed logical to do while in there as they don’t cost a great deal). We ran the bike up to temp yesterday morning and have left it stood still since, and there is no sign of leaking. We are going to put it on the dyno this afternoon to run it up to temperature and simulate riding for a length of time, then leave it stood until back in Monday. Providing no leaks or drips are noted, then we will be looking to deliver it back to you either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Sounds good to me.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

The dealer is sending me live updates now of the testing. Here is the bike being run up to speed on the Dyno just now. :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ask 'em how much power it produced at the wheel!!!

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:43 am Ask 'em how much power it produced at the wheel!!!
Just asked. A little video video clip!

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:43 am Ask 'em how much power it produced at the wheel!!!
They never did a power run apparently. I would have been interested to know as well as its much quicker than I thought it would be. I tried a Silverwing and from memory its as nippy between 30 and 70 as that was which is just what I needed really. I tried an SH300 and it was lame in comparison. Oddly I did find a new belt and a set of rollers under the seat. Wonder if its been modified. I Cant compare it to anything though really. Ive been riding a Honda Vision for yonks though so a Space Hopper would feel quick to me.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Bingo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:08 pm
They never did a power run apparently. I would have been interested to know as well as its much quicker than I thought it would be. I tried a Silverwing and from memory its as nippy between 30 and 70 as that was which is just what I needed really.
They are seriously quick...I felt mine was as quick as a Tmax up to around 50! Shame I couldn't get on with the rest of the scoot.....