False accusation of accident

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: False accusation of accident

Post by roadster »

Hastings can be a very difficult company to contact and do not provide a clear postal address. After I had some difficult with cancelling a policy I wrote directly to this address:-
Hastings Insurance Services Ltd.
Conquest House
Collington Avenue
Bexhill-on-Sea
East Sussex
TN39 3LW

After considerable aggravation I made a formal complaint using their complaints procedure and this resulted in an ex-gratia payment by way of compensation for my difficulties.

It is now often quite difficult to maintain written record of dealing with service companies who insist on using telephone lines which generally place the consumer at a disadvantage because we don't normally have recording devices at our end. Its particularly annoying if they send out emails yet automatically reject any attempt to reply to them. In some cases it pays to have your letters sent by recorded delivery even though this adds cost.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I had the police round to the house because they thought I was involved in an serious ongoing crime. They opened the garage and found my Beverly 350 inside, my wife told them I was in London at the Ace cafe on another bike. They left by the time I came home. I assume the scooter reg had been cloned.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, Bev 350s....probably the scrote's fave scooter! Compact but seriously fast! When I sold mine, I couldn't believe that a dealer could come all the way from London the same day just to buy it for silly money! Its probably been used in several ram raids since.....

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I read part of a police report saying to date the Vespa GTS300 was still the weapon of choice for criminally minded scrotes carrying out city crimes! It's fast and very very manoeuvrable due to the shorter wheelbase over the Bev. :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

It may depend on the exact location of your intended crime - for City Centres the Vespa would be better with its greater compactness & manoeuvrabililty, but for further out, the Bev might be better due to its insane performance!

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

I hope its not a scam. I think I would goto the police to here their pov. also a lawyer as a free consultation. get different opinions. show them the bike. the bike most certainly would have had some scratches from any fall.
update us with any news please. this is a good leasson for others as well.

Data was spot on. everything you do should have some proof. like writing a letter and sending registered. voice recorder for calls.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

The 10am phone call never happened. At 11;15 am. i phoned again ( i phoned on thier 0800 number). After awhile got through to a woman ,who wanted all my details again. She tried putting me through to claims dept, after fifteen minutes of hanging,and no answer, she tried to help, she confirmed they had got my photos and they showed No damage or even scratches. She said they were now waiting for the original prerson that made this claim to contact them, and said it is probably was a mistaken reg number.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Yes, it happened to me around 6 years ago. A police officer miswrote the registration of a motorcycle involved in an accident in Liverpool.

Unfortunately he gave the registration of my W800. Despite being able to prove that I was 300 miles away in Brighton at the time, and the police officer's description being of a totally different bike, my insurers recorded it as an accident against me.

The fallout took over a year, and included me having to pay the equivalent of 9 years no claims bonus on my motorcycle policy, and having my van policy cancelled at zero notice. When I took out a new van policy I had to declare the accident, and pay an inflated premium.

The financial cost to me was well over £1000, none of which I got back.

Written retractions were required from the police officer and from the claimant's insurance company. The latter were very reluctant, as they had obviously been paid and stalled at every request to refund.

It was a very trying period, and according to be advice I was given at the time, it isn't an uncommon occurrence. Quite often, the innocent parties give up before the record is put straight.

Therefore I would urge you to get in touch with Hastings as soon as possible, by whatever means, and start the process of putting it right.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I am going all through the same shite now,went to get a quote to change bikes and got a quote of £3k…yes three grand,i may not be the sharpest knife in the draw,but i instinctively knew something was amiss,when i enquired as to why,the theft i had in February 2019 was against me,even though the insurance company didn’t pay out,because the insurance broker entered the wrong details of where it was parked overnight,the brokers record their calls and i was proved right,the broker had to foot the repair costs,but still goes against me,apparently i also was involved in a multi vehicle accident November 2020,no one has any details of where the accident was,names or addresses of third parties ect ect.The broker suggested i phoned the claims department(i thought that would be their job👀) so i phoned 4th Dimension the claims dept,who have no record of an accident on the given date,back to the broker who are now in contact with Aviva Insurance,again i am no wizz kid,i can understand these days there may well be no paper trail,but there must be a computer footprint of who went in to my policy account and entered details of this alleged accident,i also asked IF i had been involved in an accident how come the insurance company or the insurance broker hadn’t asked me for details and my version of any accident,surely they don’t pay out willy nilly without all sides of the story ,i got no answer to that question,obviously its still on going,so i will update the thread.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I'm finding all this rather shocking! No one should be paying for someone else's mistake/s, and of course mistakes do happen. Makes my blood boil! :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...