False accusation of accident

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

False accusation of accident

Post by Sylar »

I got an email from my insurance comp(Hastings) saying a third party had made a claim against me for an accident that happened on 27/4/21. I have not had any accident. When i checked my diary i had not been riding on the 27/4/21 as it was overcast and showery. I immediately sent a reply telling them this was a false claim as i had not been in any accident and indeed had not been riding on that day. I got no reply. two days later i got another email from Hastings asking me to contact them with the details of the accident, i replied again that i had NOT been in any accident and this was a false claim. I then got two letters from Hastings telling me to contact them about the accident. I tried to phone them, after half an hour of holding on the phone i gave up and sent another email, again telling them i had NOT been in any accident and to give me details of where and when,and on what bike this alleged " accident" happened. As of Saturday i have had no reply, I did check that the emails and phone number i used are genuinely Hastings. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: False accusation of accident

Post by MrGrumpy »

I guess that someone has had an accident and wrote down the Reg No of the other vehicle incorrectly. However, its not easy to prove that you haven't had an accident!
Of course, these days, there could be a scam going on, but I'm not sure what!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Maybe some sod riding round on cloned plates, will be interesting if they send other details,
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

I had a similar incident about 12 years ago at the Dartford crossing when it had toll booths. I owned an 1150gs and got a letter stating I’d smashed the wing mirror of a car while filtering to the front of the queue on a date about 5 weeks previously. I phoned insurers and they said they just needed me to respond by filling out a form. I replied that I wouldn’t be wasting my time as on that day I was in Newcastle. If they wanted any further help they could contact the Dartford Crossing owners to check their CCTV as this would confirm my non involvement. 2 weeks later got a letter telling me claimant had dropped his claim. Incidentally, when my renewal came up I was asked why I hadn’t declared my accident on that date! Another hour on the phone explaining stuff. They do your head in :evil:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

It might be worth talking to your own insurance company, informing them of Hastings' claims, and that you were not involved

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hi Sylar, you will have to bite the bullet and speak to Hastings about this however long it takes to get through. Also respond to any letters they have sent with a letter NOT an email (keeping copies of what you send them) outlining your case that it's not you that has had an accident. Often this is some mix up by an insurance operative working on the wrong account and not something suspicious. Good luck!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

I finally got through to Hastings(on the new business line). The person I spoke to tried to assure me that it could be a mistaken number taken or some other error. A person from their claims line will phone me tommorow. She sent me an email asking for photos of my bike to prove there was no damage and I have not been in an accident, I sent her the pictures, she also asked if I would allow an inspector to inspect the bike, I said certainly, the sooner the better. I will keep posting in case anyone else ever finds themselves in this situation.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

OK...but are they alleging that your particular bike was involved in the accident? And where was this accident supposed to have taken place?

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

They are saying it is the number on my Cruisym. I still have no idea where or when this is supposed to have happened.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, its your Cruisym's Reg No, but do you know if it was even a bike/scooter that was involved in the accident, let alone yours?? You might find that the accident was claimed to be between two cars.