Tmax 530 sx won’t start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Tmax
Current Ride: Tmax

Tmax 530 sx won’t start

Post by Tmax »

My 2018 Tmax sx won’t start after I changed battery in the key fob.
The fob is definitely on (short flash).
It doesn’t even lights up the dash.
Bike battery is full as I have a smart charger on.
I can start the bike with the emergency process but doesn’t do anything else with the key fob.
Is there any resetting tricks to bring her back to life again?
Thanks in advance 🙏

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax 530 sx won’t start

Post by MrGrumpy »

Oooh dear.... Not sure quite what's happened here. I've changed the smart key battery several times without problems and it hasn't required any resetting of anything. It sounds like the Smart Key itself has failed or become deset. When you changed the battery had it failed altogether, or was the system warning you the battery was low?? Though it shouldn't make a difference....Were there any signs of trouble before you changed the battery?
Congrats on getting the emergency procedure to work!
I think that you'll have to get a Yamaha dealer involved, not that they understand these things very well either! If you buy an additional smart key, it needs to be programmed somehow. Maybe your dealer can do the same technique on your smart key. It'll cost you of course.....

Tmax

Post by Tmax »

Thanks MrGrumpy for your quick reply.
I asked my local dealer service manager but he didn’t even know the key fob can be turned on and off 🤨 so no comment on his knowledge.
I need to keep searching and asking if someone had this problem before.
Cheers

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

I've had a tmax 560 for about 3 months and have had this problem on a number of occasions. The first time I put a new battery in and it was ok. Then it did it again, a week later when I was parked outsideCMC at Clay Cross where I got the scoot from. One of the sales people came out, he couldn't do anything. Went inside and a different bloke came out saying he'd put a new battery in. This time it worked.
Since then it's happened 3 or 4 times.
I'm not sure what I do but it's a combination of.... Turning the key off and on a number of times. Pressing the starter and unlock button a couple of times.
It did it just now and I moved the handlebars slightly and the ignition came on!
I'm going to make a note of exactly what happens,, what I do and what the outcome is.
Do you have rapid flashing of the key symbol and high pitched beeping sound??

It's annoying because it's intermittent and when I've called into CMC, they can't see a problem.
Luckily, I've still got 9 months Yamaha warranty and a supposed "Lifetime Guarantee with CMC"
I wish I just had a normal key...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Liam wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:04 pm
Do you have rapid flashing of the key symbol and high pitched beeping sound??

It's annoying because it's intermittent and when I've called into CMC, they can't see a problem.
Well, if CMC can't see a problem, then I can! At some point its going to fail you when you are miles from anywhere, you can't persuade it and you don't have a spare battery to hand! And then you'll be ****ed unless you can make the emergency procedure work. (I've downloaded the user manual onto my phone just in case!). My first battery lasted 2 years, though I seem to have been through them more frequently since then.

I only get the high pitched beeps when I press the Off key to lock and the handlebars aren't in the full left position . I don't think I've seen a rapid flashing of the key symbol - when the key battery is nearly flat it either stays on for a while or slow flashes (can't remember!).

Its not the best system as its dependent on there being battery power in the fob. On my Suzuki car, the fob battery can be flat but the system still works as the fob will respond when the door buttons are pushed. And having to switch the key on and off to save the battery takes away any gains in time saving and hassle with keys on a normal system.

Liam
Benefactor

Post by Liam »

I'll keep going back to keep CMC on their toes. I've got a spare fob battery but it does need sorting.

I've been turning it on and off this afternoon. Fine for 90% of the time. But then, nothing. Then I try moving the handle bars. That does seem to clear it.
There's obviously a problem so I'll have to go into CMC again..
I won't be doing any bank jobs , thats for sure. I can't always be certain of a quick getaway!
Like you say,, it will let me down one day. And I now tend to park the scoot on the side stand in case I have to phone the AA.
I can't see how they would cope with the locked centre stand. That would be a nightmare to get on their breakdown truck..

The big test will be Clevedon this coming weekend. At least there is plenty of muscle to give me a lift...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Liam wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:14 pm I
Like you say,, it will let me down one day. And I now tend to park the scoot on the side stand in case I have to phone the AA.
I can't see how they would cope with the locked centre stand. That would be a nightmare to get on their breakdown truck..
You don't HAVE to lock the centrestand - if you just press the Off button once (short press), the scoot is turned off. The stand is only locked after a further long press (you hear the clunk).

I'm always intrigued by the extra beep you get after around 30 secs - must be a deeper shutdown kicking in....

Tmax

Post by Tmax »

Wow, it looks like I’m not alone with this problem. Hope we can work out some solutions.
Since I’m digging into this I’m discovering more and more Tmax owner having this issue.
It is a high end quality Yamaha product and we pay a big money for it so this problem shouldn’t exist.

Liam
Benefactor

Post by Liam »

MrGrumpy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:44 pm

You don't HAVE to lock the centrestand - if you just press the Off button once (short press), the scoot is turned off. The stand is only locked after a further long press (you hear the clunk).

I'm always intrigued by the extra beep you get after around 30 secs - must be a deeper shutdown kicking in....
I've been thinking that I've locked the stand when I haven't. I press the off/lock switch to turn off. Then press it again to lock the steering and I thought that was it
Like you say, it needs a longer press. (which I'll avoid doing for now.)
The 560 owners manual is a bit vague about turning on. Page 3.7 does say to waggle the handlebars if the steering lock doesn't release. (Like I found out)
and similarly with the locked stand. It says if it doesn't unlock shove it backwards and forwards to help release it!
The manual also says that the flashing and beeps that I'm getting, means the fob battery is going. This is the 3rd battery in a month..
Another question..
Is there any way to unlock it without having to turn the ignition on?
It must use a lot of power as everything lights up like the Starship Enterprise.

And.. yes, I have noticed other clicks after I've locked it up. Mines after about 50 seconds.
Tmax wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:46 pm Wow, it looks like I’m not alone with this problem. Hope we can work out some solutions.
Since I’m digging into this I’m discovering more and more Tmax owner having this issue.
It is a high end quality Yamaha product and we pay a big money for it so this problem shouldn’t exist.
Yes,, these machines are getting too complex and too expensive. Maybe I should have stuck with my mk2

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

No, you can unlock the seat with the left hand button, but I don't think you can unlock the steering without the whole Starship Enterprise boot-up rigmarole. Annoying really - I need to get it out of the garage then stop and lock the door and put the topbox on, and it would be handy to do this without switching it on! I occasionally find the centrestand a little slow to release. It seems to be a winter problem - probably caked in gunge.