Xmax steering lock smashed in attempted theft - can’t start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
five50
Current Ride: xmax300

Xmax steering lock smashed in attempted theft - can’t start

Post by five50 »

Some thieves tried to take my Xmax 300 last night.
They didn’t manage to take it but they did break the steering lock.
The dial switch that is used to operate the bike doesn’t really turn now.
I have seen online that an Xmax can be started without electronic fob functionality - but you still need to turn this dial - so I can’t start the bike.
Does any one know if there any workarounds to get started - I have mechanical keys for the bike but can’t see any uses for those other than unlocking the saddle?
Otherwise to get this fixed, does anyone know what is required? Is this likely to just be a steering lock part of the whole dial plus key fob etc?
Any thoughts much appreciated.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Xmax steering lock smashed in attempted theft - can’t start

Post by MrGrumpy »

Not sure about the Xmax, but scoots with Smart Keys (eg Tmax, Honda X-ADV/Integra etc) normally have an emergency procedure. On the Tmax, there is a hidden socket for the manual key, and you have to do some complex procedure with flashing lights. Its possible that the Xmax has something similar - it'll be in the manual if there is. But if it relies on your broken dial switch, it won't work. If the thieves have wreaked havoc with the lock, they could well have damaged the electronics controlling the entire locking system / immobiliser, so you could be screwed anyway. I fear that if its seriously damaged you will need a whole new locking system with smart key and the bike reprogrammed. If so, it will be seriously expensive.

five50
Current Ride: xmax300

Post by five50 »

Outside of this specific issue - for what it’s worth, I think the Xmax 300 is brilliant.
Great fun to ride and v practical with storage for 2 helmets and a lock.
I had a bit of a gap but my last bike was a Fireblade.
I won’t be doing any track days on the Xmax but for riding around London it is much better and still puts a smile on my face. I didn’t expect to be corner hunting on a scooter, but here I am!
Well, when I can get it started again…

alp231
Benefactor
Current Ride: X max 300

Post by alp231 »

There is emergency starting you need the code from the smart key and the sequence is in the hand book