Ebay European countries purchasing parts

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 18446

Ebay European countries purchasing parts

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

Has anyone ordered from Italian 🇮🇹 companies on ebay since brexit .I noticed after ordering they separated item and the tax so presuming taking off the Italian vat and paying the UK vat .Not sure if going to be hit with a charge after wards by carried .Saying that I've ordered from China not been charged import duty except years ago on an exhaust .Have a few orders going thro at moment plus a tyre from my tyres they usually come from Germany 🇩🇪

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Ebay European countries purchasing parts

Post by MrGrumpy »

Haven't ordered from Italy, but I've bought a couple of things from easyparts in the Netherlands. However, its utterly baffling! Bought one thing for £200, didn't have to pay Dutch VAT , but had to pay the courier (UPS) UK VAT plus a handling charge (£11 for a few automated e-mails!!!). On the other hand, I bought something for £100, again wasn't charged Dutch VAT (I think!), but didn't pay UK VAT or any other fee to UPS! In both cases, the goods came pretty quickly.
AFAIK in principle, you shouldn't have to pay European VAT on things you buy from European companies, but at some stage you will be charged UK VAT. There may be thresholds where different rules apply, but its all totally confusing.

On a related topic, in the past I've bought tyres from Pneus-online, which despite a .co.uk web address are a French company. Since Brexit / New VAT rules, they aren't selling to the UK at the moment, which seems odd. They say they this is temporary, but its been temporary for over 6 months now!

Deleted User 18446

I'll post if get any extra charges

ollie
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by ollie »

Bought an ohlins suspension upgrade kit for my Forza 300 from Italy via eBay. A few days after delivery received an invoice from Fed Ex who were collecting vat on behalf of UK custom and excise.

Deleted User 18446

I have gasket coming via fed ex .

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

About three weeks ago I received a Harley part ordered from Germany, cost €48.99 plus shipping €9.99 by UPS. Delivery was petty quick and no further costs like VAT or import duty charged. This was not from eBay though, I purchased direct from the supplier. It all seems rather unknown at present as to whether such additional charges will be levied. Maybe at a guess something to do with the order value where they don't bother with items under a certain figure.

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

If you go over £130 VAT comes in I bought a Givi screen from Italy and was not charged any extra .As for couriers paying VAT on your behalf sounds like a money earner with admin charges .

Edited to add

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55841048

Interesting reading , and I was close with £130 :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

wightegi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:29 am If you go over £130 VAT comes in I bought a Givi screen from Italy and was not charged any extra .As for couriers paying VAT on your behalf sounds like a money earner with admin charges .
That could explain why I paid VAT on one item from the Netherlands, but not on the other! Yeah, can be a right money earner for couriers - they sent me a few automated e-mails and took a payment over the web, all without any human intervention, and charged me £11.50. OK, they paid the VAT to HMRC, but I bet that was an electronic payment as well!

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Ahhhh, Brexit. The gift that just keeps giving.

Deleted User 18446

Fed ex just delivered gasket hoping no extra on that .Next order over the £130 limit see what happens with that one says just been dispatched.