E10 fuel consumption

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: E10 fuel consumption

Post by Data »

Yes, I do that method too. It's actually pretty accurate. One other point Smeg. Unless you actually ran your last tank of E5 almost completely out it's likely you'd still have a litre or two of E5 mixing with your new E10. That gives you somewhere in the region of E7 to E8 fuel. Even less likely to have affected your economy since your petrol tank holds significantly less fuel than mine. But I can guarantee you won't be getting any big change in your fuel economy due to E10. Don't be sucked in by the BS on the internet & in the rubbish press. This is still one of my areas of expertise from my engine development days where we tested E10 years ago for the US market. Trust me, no need to worry "bro"...lol.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Post by iansoady »

To get a true value you need to do it consistently. Being a sad soul I had complete records for the Discovery Td5 I had for 10 years. What was interesting was the slow decline in mpg over the years, but the mpg of each tankful used to vary quite a lot depending, as said, on running conditions etc.

Your US eperiences sound interesting Data. I'm one of what seems to be a minority who doesn't subscribe to the hysteria. At worst, changing a few "rubber" components is all that I can see being needed. I did do a very unscientific test by leaving various old Amal carn components in a jar full of E5 for a year and they came out as clean as they went in. Contrary to the doom and gloom we hear.

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

I thought the Vespa 300 fuel tanks were the same size . I think it will be a while before the results are in as it is only just a month since e10 came in and e5 could still be in the mix ,this cold weather is not good only 18c here today.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

wightegi wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:03 am I thought the Vespa 300 fuel tanks were the same size . I think it will be a while before the results are in as it is only just a month since e10 came in and e5 could still be in the mix ,this cold weather is not good only 18c here today.
It's interesting because many garages were selling E10 slightly before September in readiness for the legal requirement of actually supplying it from the mandated date. My own local garage was selling it late August. So it's most unlikely there was any appreciable amount of E5 95ron about. Selling it was officially illegal once E10 came in. Most garages warned us of this situation with signage & news reports. There was a provision in law for some low turnover sites to continue to sell it until fresh E10 fuel arrived.

The GTS fuel tanks vary in size. My 2016 euro 3 has a 9.5ltr tank according to the handbook. I've managed to squeeze in 9.3ltrs on one occasion. She was misfiring as I pulled (coasted) in to the garage. Some GTS's have a 9.2ltr tank. The euro 4 bikes have 8.4ltr tank. The HPE is smaller still at 7ltrs. Strange but true!

The results on E10 are already in from the states. E10 barely makes any difference. What we are forgetting is that E10 is not new (except over here). The main issue is the fact that E10 degrades a bit more quickly. So leaving a lot of it in your tank over winter if you store your bike is not a good idea. But actually, there aren't really any problems. Use & enjoy!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

...The HPE is smaller still at 7ltrs. Strange but true!..

On my 2021 300 GTS HPE the handbook quotes the tank capacity as 8.5 ± 0.5 litres, whatever that means. But it's not 7L.

Deleted User 1756

Post by Deleted User 1756 »

Well its been a clear month now on E10 and just over 1000 miles in my wifes car and she does a round trip to work of 70 miles on open roads and is now getting 46 mpg and was getting 52 mpg and it has also been warm here this month,I fill it and brim it at the same pump.I also done a couple of tanks on my sym 300 on E10 and it has also dropped about 5mpg.No tech speak just real world living.You have to look at it from both sides and I can see from the side of the treasury that its a win win for them (burn more pay more).

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Spindal, it's not because of E10. That makes almost no difference to most people's cars or bikes. It's down to lower temps than we get in summer. It doesn't have to be really cold for economy to be affected. Even now it's fairly mild but your car or bike is much colder after standing overnight than it would be in July or throughout the summer. This means your oil is thicker & warm up time will be longer during which time the fuel injection will be on full advance for longer pumping in a lot more fuel. BUT something I didn't mention is that every year at the turn of late autumn, sometimes sooner or sometimes a bit later, we start to get WINTER PETROL.

Winter petrol has a slightly different make up. It has a lot more "sniffers" in it. These sniffers allow your engine to start more easily on cold mornings. However, they also lower the calorific value of the petrol very slightly. Your engine will adjust to the new formula but you will hardly notice it, except your fuel economy reduces a little. It happens every year and the winter fuel arrives around the country at slightly differing times. Scotland gets it much earlier than the rest of us because it's weather starts going colder sooner. So it's a combination of colder temps & winter fuel that causes a fuel economy drop. Not really E10. That barely causes any real change. Just saying!

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

abitmad wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:11 am ...The HPE is smaller still at 7ltrs. Strange but true!..

On my 2021 300 GTS HPE the handbook quotes the tank capacity as 8.5 ± 0.5 litres, whatever that means. But it's not 7L.
abitmad, yes you're right! Just rechecked the brochure and it's the GTS125 that has the 7ltr tank. Looked in the wrong column.

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Three times a week I do a 'flat out' bike ride over the same course as part of my exercise regime. It takes me an average of 25 mins 32 seconds in the summer and 26 mins 54 seconds in the winter.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

I'm finding I'm somewhat sluggish in the mornings too! :o