First problem.... clutch

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

First problem.... clutch

Post by barryG »

Dissapointingly, my Burgman has its first issue. At 3500miles, when cold and for the first few standing starts the clutch has become very juddery. Its really quite violent and sometimes is accompanied by a slight groan. My big worry about the Burgman 400 was potential clutch issues and its happened! Trip to the dealer me thinks.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: First problem.... clutch

Post by Bluebottle »

I wouldn't worry about it.

Probably just the shoes have got a bit glazed or some compacted dust.
Hold it on the break and rev up to 4000 for 4 or 5 seconds and it will disappear.
If you ever have the clutch exposed - rough up the friction surfaces slightly

Don't get carried away and do it every ten minutes, I think that would be mistreating your clutch and belt; some people do it regularly but I don't. I think I have domne it twice and both times it has been extended slow traffic that have given me the problem (first was a demonstration rally so I couldn't dictate my own speeds).

To avoid it happening again - try not to run at very low speeds for extended periods (easier said than done) and get your clutch locked up promptly by picking the revs up to 4,000ish rpm and then reducing/increasing as required once the clutch is locked up.
You want to avoid slipping the clutch from excessively high revs preventing it from biting, low revs not letting it fully engage or overheating from constantly engagng disengaging.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

Ive been riding it exactly like you suggest. Maybe I will remove the tranny cover and airline it out?

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

barryG wrote:Ive been riding it exactly like you suggest. Maybe I will remove the tranny cover and airline it out?
Sounds like the cheapest idea. My brother had the same problem with the Burgman which was never fixed despite endless pissing around by the dealer. His fix was to buy a NC700x.....

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

Felt better today, still a little judder so I held the brake and revved it to 4000rpm for about 4 seconds. Will see what happens. I was going to remove the cover and airline it, but looks too much hassle getting the cover off going by some youtube videos.