How to install charger socket on Burgman 400

PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

How to install charger socket on Burgman 400

Post by PhilD »

This has probably been done many times by owners, but I'm still trying to find my way round the bike ...

I was looking at getting an Optimate trickle charger to hook up to my bike for when it doesn't get used every day, but the bike is in the open air, not in a garage, so the charger would be inside with an extension lead to the bike.
I'm wondering the best way to hook up to the battery while still on the bike. The power socket in the cubby only powers up when the ignition is on, so I can't charge it that way ...

Has anyone any ideas or done a mod to allow charging without taking the battery out?

All comments welcome please ... :-)

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Re: How to install charger socket on Burgman 400

Post by Whatsisname »

The door to the battery at the back of the cubby is "loose" enough to just fit the battery connector cable and leave the charger tail in the cubby. You could even just do it like this guy.

I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

Post by PhilD »

Thanks for the info ....
I have narrowed it down to one of the Optimate chargers, using the supplied ring connector cable direct to the battery, and using a long extension into the house. (I'm thinking the "new" SAE connector system is the way to go). I'm assuming I'll have to notch the cubby cover to get the cable out?
It's raining today, so I'm not looking closely at the bike until it stops.
Also, there is a bewildering array of chargers that appear to do the same thing, but just go up and up in price .... still confused.

ramiller

Post by ramiller »

I use one of these, it does what it says on the tin, also a good price.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-rsc604-4 ... Anp38P8HAQ