D. I Y.

burgerbutch

D. I Y.

Post by burgerbutch »

Hi guys. Ok got my new scoot, in the paperwork i found some old recipts for work caried out on the bike. the bills were very expensive. eg. £90 to have rear tyre fitted. Can you do these jobs yourself? Small jobs like replaceing a spark plug maybe. any comments would be helpfull. Thanks Phil.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: D. I Y.

Post by poldark »

Many things can be done DIY, though I'd not do tyres myself (but £90 is excessive).

There's an amazing knowledge base done by one of the Burgman USA (BUSA) guys available here, with lots of clear directions & pics.

http://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

Thank God for the T'internet.......... :D
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

pikey

Post by pikey »

You should be able to do most stuff on a 400.Re Tyres take in loose wheel is easiest way.Avoid avon viper stryke.Julian

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Mine is still performing well enough....£25...Bargain.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Can only speak from my experience of 2 rears on 400 burgman and Mikes on the Silverwing Clive different batches and sizes may vary.Julian

Alexis050891
Current Ride: 1999 Burgman 400

Post by Alexis050891 »

I got 2 new Hoops fitted to loose wheel for £90 so I think that amount for a rear is a bit excessive.

burgerbutch

Post by burgerbutch »

Thanks guys, is there much problem taking body pannels off, to get to engine.When you say take wheel in is it much of a job getting it off?

Alexis050891

Post by Alexis050891 »

The worst thing about the Burgman (as far as I can see) is taking body panels off. It's easy to break lugs and snap off anything sticking out. Just take your time and try to keep as many of the plastic rivet pins as you can, because they are expensive once you manage to find them.

I have taken off all of the panels through doing whatever job over the years. I might suggest writing down or photographing so that you know which panel goes on in which order. If you have the patience and time then go for it! It can only make you a better mechanic.

As for the engine, I believe you need to take out the seat tub, take off the under-seat panels and airbox (depends which bit of the engine you mean). The wheels weren't too bad to get off, but the back wheel nut was a right arse. I'd suggest getting someone to pull on the rear brake lever and lean back to get the wheel on the ground. In fact a better suggestion is to get an impact wrench and use the handbrake.
That was the first time I took the rear wheel off, but ever since, it comes off without any brakes or anyone sitting on it. I think the toruq is about 50 nm.

FYI: to get the rear wheel off you need to take off the exhaust, and the big exhaust bracket. Getting them all aligned again is a right bugger, but I managed it with a little wriggling. The exhaust manifold bolts are tricky to get torqued up too, so I replaced them with studs in the cylinder. If you ever do take the exhaust off, use aluminium gaskets which are like two big washers welded together. The copper ones just fall out and make a crap seal.

Oh yes, don't work on it when it's hot :mrgreen:.

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

Alexis050891 wrote:The worst thing about the Burgman (as far as I can see) is taking body panels off. It's easy to break lugs and snap off anything sticking out. Just take your time and try to keep as many of the plastic rivet pins as you can, because they are expensive once you manage to find them.
How much are those plastic pins? Is it only Suzuki main dealer that we can order them from? I'll need some soon as years are taking it's toll and i am losing a few here and there.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Alexis050891

Post by Alexis050891 »

I've only ever seen them sold by Suzuki's dealers. Can't remember the price but it was along the lines of a fiver for a few.