2001 burgman 400 wont start!

wavey-davey

2001 burgman 400 wont start!

Post by wavey-davey »

hi, got a 2001 burgman 400 carb model that wouldnt start. found it had no spark so i put in new plug, replaced coil and lead, checked stator coil and pulse generator and both are ok. got 2nd hand CDI from ebay and cranked over with plug out and got big juicy spark. put plug in engine, put in fresh fuel and cleaned out carb etc. bike started fine and ran for a couple of minutes then conked out. tried to restart and it wouldnt. took out plug and found no spark again. any ideas where i could look for the problem?

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Re: 2001 burgman 400 wont start!

Post by Normsthename »

I seem to remember starting issues on the old Burgmans was caused by a poor earth between the engine and frame???....I think
Might be worth looking into......

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

wavey-davey

Re: 2001 burgman 400 wont start!

Post by wavey-davey »

Hi, ive checked the earths between battery and CDI, between battery and engine and frame and all are ok. Now it has also started blowing the main ignition fuse (10amp) when you press the starter button and it cranks for a couple of turns. The kill switch is also intermittent.........although looks in perfect order inside on the contacts etc. Think ill pass this one onto somebody more knowledgeable. :(

Thanks for your help.