Electric 'Moped'

For members who own little scooters.
capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Electric 'Moped'

Post by capitano »

Dave Weller wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:20 am Thanks for the forum link which I have joined, I'm considering a replacement for my Innova which will be a hard act to follow. I have a Argos special shopper bike, brought for Linda to help exercising her new stiff knee joint, but she has given up, it is what it is. Wonder if I could upgrade that or build a new mountain bike with some power.
Sorry for adding to the thread hijack Mike.

Dave, I've done a 26" MTB conversion using the powerplant from a 20" wheel shoping bike. In my case a Viking 24V E-Go. It worked very well.

I did a short write up on the e-bike thread on MM but can expand if it's useful to you or anyone else.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22809

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks, Ged.

Don't worry about the hijack; I've been around long enough to know that it happens nearly always as a matter of course.

The irritating thing is when one asks for thoughts on a particular product - in this case a very specific scooter - and people either post posts ignoring it or indicate that one should do something else, again without reference to the particular product or knowing all the facts, the main one of which in this case is that I already have a pedal-assist electric bike.

A little while ago I asked elsewhere for help with a laptop problem - with Microsoft. One clever dick who really should know better told me to buy an Apple computer. I needed assistance with a particular product then and there.

As for your contribution about the NiU:- I'm grateful for it, knowing as I do that you have got your ear to the ground in all matters P2W!

I don't know anyone who has got one but, as you may have read elsewhere, I have changed my selection of colour for the scooter since the warehouse has temporarily run out of black ones, something, I think, which points to the fact that people are buying them quite readily.

The reviews are all positive with only one or two negatives, generally about lack of storage space and not the 'mechanicals' or general performance. Wonder of wonders: it has a curry-hook!

This review is down-to-earth, noting that the reviewer has little or no experience of scooters in general - he's a biker!

I will keep everyone informed, of course.

Names have been chosen - most important!

It should be here next week ...... but I want it NOW!

Thanks again, Ged.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I'm looking forward to your review Mike, cruise control will be a useful feature, I was out on my Innova today visiting local wildlife sites, so mainly stop start, parking up and not wanting to draw attention to myself, the scooter would have been ideal.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

BTW, Puig do a universal windscreen which fits the little bikes well, the brackets fit under the mirror storks. i fitted one to my Innova and my friend followed suit.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Ah! I failed to mention I ordered a screen, too, Dave.
Glad to be following your example.

I hadn't thought of the scooter as a stealth bike; I'm loving more and more. :)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

The bike was delivered yesterday evening at half-past eight so I haven't had much time to stroke it yet!
The rear rack is fitted as promised but the windscreen has had to be ordered.
I've just spent the best part of 90 minutes sorting out the insurance but I think it's all done now.

I have a question and will value opinions.

The rack is stated as being for a Shad topbox although, as it's just a bare plate with holes in for the Shad mounting-plate, I guess almost any make will fit. I expect I'll go for the Shad option, though.

My question is this: one of the main reasons for buying the scooter is to travel to places (mostly the seaside, one mile away) for walks/exercise on the level. Of course, I will dress properly for riding the scooter but don't want to have to walk in motorcycle gear or carry my crash-helmet. Most of the time, the box will be empty apart from a couple of locks and chains/cables.

Do you think it will be okay if I buy a 40ltr box although it's quite large?

I am quite aware that I should make up my own mind but I don't always see all the pros and cons.

I quite fancy this one although it's not the cheapest:

Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

If the topbox fitting plate fits the rack area, fine... dont think 40lt is overly large, will it take all you want to store?
often somexracks can take a certain box without the need for a plate - Honda 35l on the Sh and other racks for example.
i would see what fits, if anything, without the need gor an additional mounting plate...
As for storage wright, this is for on the move, so OK for storage when stationary.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

How large is your helmet ?? I had to buy a bigger top box when I bought a new helmet. Your box cannot be too large especially if it's only being used as a shopping trolley !

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks, Paul. The NUI rack is advertised as being for a Shad plate and box and it will be used mostly when the scooter is parked.

Hewlmet size: funny you should say that! I bought recently a Nolan N70 which is long from front to back.
I decided it made sense to use an earlier model on the NIU for that very reason - that it will take up less space.
I have checked the helmet very carefully, of course.
The box on my Silverwing is a Givi E52. I have balanced it on the NIU, just to see and it's a bit wide.
The Ahad box I posted is significantly narrower.

Thanks, both of you.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Sounds like you have made a wise choice with this established brand and I look forward to hearing more about it.
I have exactly the same issues with storage as you. At the moment I can remove my heavyweight riding jacket and put that in the rear box, then put my helmet and any other paraphernalia that I don't want to carry when walking under the seat of the AK550. The same flexibility applies to shopping trips etc. Within the next twelve months I would certainly like to switch to electric power so unless there are other options it could well mean a very large top box. This will look ugly but its practicality that matters.
Please do keep us in the picture and enjoy the ride.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...