Electric 'Moped'

For members who own little scooters.
Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Electric 'Moped'

Post by Waldorf »

Thank you!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who places function over looks.

I have just popped on to check for more advice/opinions before clicking on 'Buy Now'.

Thank you all again.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

NIU Scooter – First Ride.

I put the batteries on charge yesterday evening just to make sure they were both at 100%.
It was very easy to set it all up; I have an outside socket in my yard, put the charger on the foot-well, lifted the seat and plugged in. I don't know how long it took to do the 2% but it wasn't long.

This morning I got ready, mounted up and appreciated the compact size and relatively light weight; I have to back out of the yard into the back lane.

Immediately, I discovered that the throttle comes on quite suddenly at first. I suspect it's because one is so used to hearing the revs rise on a conventional scooter before the clutch bites.
I was being careful and it was just as well!

It was as I rode up the lane that the inevitable 'What have I done?' thought leapt into my mind. The steering is feather-light, the legroom minimal, the silence spooky and the dash-board quite lively.

I set aside the doubts and began to take myself and the scooter in hand. The first major hurdle on the road is the right turn on to the more main road at the top of mine. It does need care as there are two width-restrictions/give way to on-coming traffic points to left and right. I won't go into detail but extra care is needed at all times.
I managed it all rather well, I thought, and confidence was building. My touch on the handlebars lightened – the Silverwing is much heavier at low speed, of course – and I found how to arrange knees and feet comfortably.

Throttle-control will become second nature very soon.

It's very hilly round here and I chose a route on purpose which didn't avoid any ups and downs.

Very soon I realised that the Dynamic Mode, the middle of the three, is not sufficient for getting up longer hills in 40 mph limits; it maxes out at 29 mph and the speed drops off gradually. Switching into Sport Mode brings the speed up pretty quickly and the anxiety of not going fast enough disappears.
Going down-hill in Dynamic Mode saw speeds up to 35 mph; Sports Mode down hill saw 47 mph blink up momentarily on the speedo. It was slightly unnerving the first couple of times as the scooter is quite skittish but I'll get used to it. In fact, I have already but must still remember I'm a beginner on it at the moment.

Eco Mode will not be used round here; it may be useful in a bigger town or city but it's really a crawler gear. I guess it might get one home if the batteries were very low.

I had an eye on the battery-consumption. It's another unnerving experience watching it counting down until one remembers the range is limited to whatever it's limited to. I used Sports Mode at first followed by Dynamic Mode and then a mix of the two. One would not get too far on Sport Mode exclusively but it's not what the scooter is for.

I rode 19 miles, reducing battery capacity to 70%. I suspect that as I become more familiar with the scooter I will be more economical and choose flatter routes if I stray from my planned local trips to the seaside and church, both roughly a mile each way.

I have ordered a Shad topbox; a box is an absolute necessity. There is a deep cubby-hole in the fairing, just big enough for my camera, and the space under the seat holds the two tools (stamped-out bicycle-style spanner and screwdriver) and my glasses-case. I will dig out a bag that mates with the curry-hook.

I was surprised not to have been troubled much by the lack of windscreen; it's chilly here today and quite windy. The windscreen will arrive in due course and I can see myself fitting it for the Winter and riding without it in warmer months.

The batteries have been on charge again since 1.20. - 1hr 20mins – and are not fully-charged yet so the charging times advertised may be a little optimistic, not that it matters. We shall see. The charger has a built-in cooling fan and an indicator light which shows red while charging, changing to green when charging is complete.

Tomorrow morning will be the first test of riding from A to B and locking it up to the convenient lamp-post at the venue.

More to follow in due course. Please ask any questions; I've probably forgotten something.

I LUV it!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Very good review as usual Mike, its the way forward for us social, domestic and leisure riders. Ideal for the shorter rides when I'm on my own, not leading or following Honda Owners club rides.
I think for some of us the days of touring on bikes is coming to an end because of the Co-vids, I have been finding shorter, local, circular rides and taking breaks on route to enjoy the countryside.
Stay safe up north.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks, Dave.

I agree with you although I'm definitely not ready to get rid of the Silverwing yet.

I'm composing a follow-up review, not least because I'm getting used to the bike and discovering its personality and idiosyncracies; I will write and post it in a week or so.
I certainly have no regrets as yet and think that will not change.

Incidentally, for those like me in favour of vehicles having names, like a racehorse my scooter has an official name - Voltaire Raspberry Ripple - and a stable-yard name - HAL - which was suggested by a scootering friend up here when he saw the headlight which, as he says, bears a remarkable resemblance to the 'eye' of the HAL9000 computer in '2001 - A Space Oddessy'. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it, Mike. :)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Dave Weller wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:22 am ... Ideal for the shorter rides when I'm on my own, not leading or following Honda Owners club rides.
Here's another electric bike good for short rides - it recently broke an 8yr old record :lol:

https://www.cycledrag.com/hans-henrik-t ... rag%20Bike

Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

"- and a stable-yard name - HAL - which was suggested by a scootering friend up here when he saw the headlight which, as he says, bears a remarkable resemblance to the 'eye' of the HAL9000 computer in '2001 - A Space Oddessy'"
Bit of trivia- It was a dig at IBM. HAL being the preceding letters.

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Quite so. When I was in the 6th Form at secondary school in 1966 there was a large building with IBM on it close to Putney Bridge where we rowed on the Thames . The film didn't appear on the scene for another two years. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Well Done! The U tube reports look good and I wish I was younger to be able to enjoy such, as it is I’m sticking with my 2nd Honda Helix which is a decent bike...

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

I posted this earlier on the 'Seaham Have Your Say' page on Facebook:-

'This evening I rode my electric moped down to St. John's Church to attend the evening communion service. As usual, I locked it to the seat opposite the church door. It was restrained by two substantial cables and a very obvious yellow padlock. I have no doubt that many people here have seen it before as I attend services at least four times every week.
When I came out afterwards I noticed that it had been pushed over against the low wall. I then realised that the handlebars had been moved. I was certain I had applied the steering lock. When I pushed the key in, it would not turn so I guessed the steering lock had been forced and broken. Fortunately, the priest and the MC were still in church so, at their suggestion, I pushed the bike into the church hall. The MC then kindly gave me a lift home.
It was obvious to anyone that the bike could not have been taken except by a thief armed with cutting-gear so it is equally obvious that this was a blatant act of vandalism.
I will report the matter to the police, of course and should I find the scum who did it will ensure that he/they rue the day they even looked at my scooter.
I am stuck now since all the motorcycle businesses are closed for the next few weeks so I can't get repairs done.'

I've had nearly 90 messages of support there plus many from Facebook Friends as well as an offer of help from a mobile motorcycle-mechanic.

It's not so much the damage as the hassle of getting it sorted out.

I despair. :(
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano