Electric 'Moped'

For members who own little scooters.
capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Electric 'Moped'

Post by capitano »

You'll never guess some people's irrational logic, Mike. Saying that, it sounds like an attempted theft followed by vandalism when thwarted. :(

Sorry to hear this, and I hope that it is quickly sorted out in a relatively painless manner

Tartan Cobbler
Benefactor
Current Ride: nothing

Post by Tartan Cobbler »

low life scum don't deserve a pulse... hope it gets sorted, keep your chin up

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Every sympathy for your troubles. There is no cure for that feeling of despair when you see that there are those who enjoy the benefits of a civilized and free society yet show no respect for their fellow citizens.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks, everyone.

I am certain that it was an act of stupidity which resulted into damage being inflicted.
Imagine, if you will, a standard security cable - one with a loop at each end - round the foot-well, with one loop threaded through the other and led up to the grab-rail at the back.
Then imagine a second cable similarly looped round the upright of a metal seat/park-bench positioned behind the scooter. In fact, of course, I'd backed the scooter up to the bench.
The second cable is also led up to the same grab-rail.
The two cables are then connected to each other and the grab-rail by an Oxford Boss padlock. This is the arrangement I always use.
Although it was dark, the padlock and cables are clearly visible. Unless anyone comes along with a pre-planned idea of stealing the scooter, it cannot be taken away. I lock it all to the grab-rail simply so I don't have to grovel on the ground!

I think the bastard who did the damage thought it would be clever to get on the scooter to pretend to ride it and in doing so, wrenched the handlebars straight thus breaking the lock.

I spoke to the police yesterday morning and then again in a pre-arranged interview on the phone in the evening with the officer assigned to the case .
I told the officer, Michael, my guess as to what had happened and he rightly said that that may be the case and is all very well but that a crime had been committed, albeit 'by accident'.
He also reminded me that I was the victim.
Shortly after, he sent crime number and other information by text.

I spoke to Urban e bikes yesterday morning and again later. The upshot of that is that the mechanic up here should have no difficulty doing the work and, that if he gets stuck, he should phone for assitance and the part is on its way up here to be delivered early in the week by courier.

I am overwhelmed by the help and support I have received from messages of support from friends here, Facebook and so on, the actual help from the company and the way the policemen made me feel that I was the only person they were having to deal with - their efficiency and compassion.
I did say to them I realised it was highly unlikely they'd be able to identify the miscreant but was told that my having reported the crime helped with their work in the area.

Incidentally, the steering-lock is £43.00 and the courier-fee, £7.50. I doubt I'll be ripped off by the mobile m/c mechanic up here who immediately told me to contact him if I needed help. It's cash I could do without spending, of course, but won't break the bank.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

At least it's encouraging to be able to get spares that quickly. I am put off from buying if the importer carries virtually nil stock and everything has to sent from the factory. Good luck once it's fixed.

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks.

I received good vibes when I approached Urbane bikes after I'd conducted some serious research in the first place.

The moped 'feels' as a decent machine should. I expect it's all helped by the fact there are very few moving parts; I know as we all do that Chinese petrol engines left much to be desired.

I was encouraged after the incident to see an extensive range of new spare parts on Ebay. I suppose one might argue that doesn't bode well but it shows there must be good backup.

I'm still love it and will be even happier when it's fixed. It's well-known in Seaham now, especially as I posted pictures of it on Facebook.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

The parts arrived in the post this morning so all I need to do is contact the mechanic and arrange a convenient time for him to do the work.
HAL is still safely tucked up in the Parish Room and the vicar has suggested the repairs are done there in the warm.

I think I must take some photos; it can't be every day that motorcycle repairers get to work in church. :)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

I posted this on Facebook earlier (copied & pasted).

'Update regarding my vandalised scooter: Ian ( the mobile mechanic) contacted me this morning and we arranged to meet at church at 2.00. I was given a lift down in good time; Ian was already there. To cut a long story short, he managed to wrestle the plastic off - not an easy task - then he found he had to cut the key off to get the barrel out. Anyway, it's all back together and working. When I asked what the bill was he refused any payment whatever, in spite of my protestations. I cannot thank him enough for his kindness and generosity and have his assurance that I can contact him for help at any time. I promised to post pictures of his works van so everyone will know who he is. Thank you, Ian.'

Ian's business is 'Cambo's'. I gather from remarks following my Facebook post. he's well-respected in the area.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Gosh! Nearly five months have elaspsed since that unfortunate incident.
Not much to say about it now except that the bezel round the ignition switch, damaged in the attack, wouldn't locate properly so I've left it off. It doesn't do anything except spoil the look very marginally and I'm the only person who gets up close. I don't bother with the steering-lock as it's obviously very flimsy and insecure.
I have found a better place, less obvious and out-of-the-way, to park the bike. I also bought an alarm to use as well as the WiFi one which is factory-fitted.

More important is that riding it is an absolute blast! Apart from the days it was off road for repair, I've only not ridden it when there was snow on the ground.
I did buy a screen to make riding in the rain more comfortable.

I can't fault it other than to say that the chrome on the front struts is very thin and already beginning to flake off; I'll deal with that in due course.

The high point today is that on my way back from an extra trip to Tesco - Tuesdays are shopping days - HAL passed the 1000-mile mark. I'm thrilled to bits (little things .... !) and add only that I do go out on it sometimes just for a ride, as we did on our push-bikes all those years ago.

Feel free to ask any questions if you wish.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Thanks for the update. I love to hear that even in this day and age, people can still be thrilled to bits by life's little things.

PS- I still go out just for a ride on my pushbike.