News!

This is the place to organize a meet or tell us about a forthcoming show
Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

News!

Post by Waldorf »

I saw this posted elsewhere; I don't think it's already been posted here.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/cor ... P6vNRM7wk4
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Deleted User 7142

Re: News!

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

Thats good news, but to be honest there have been plenty of bikes out and about for the majority of lock down.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I think mcn are irresponsible bending a rule can travel to an open space to exercise and saying can go as far as you like for a ride .

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

It's so MP's can get back to visiting their mistresses. :) icon_love031.gif
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

More irresponsible "journalism", like the suggestion in the Mail today that you'll soon be able to go on holiday in Greece (but I digress).

A journey is a thing where you go somewhere. You know, like from Point A to Point B. And then probably back again. At the moment that should really still only be for a good reason like commuting, shopping, visit someone who needs help, or to be able to wander around some open space.

I wouldn't say it included just wandering aimlessly round the countryside for a laugh - especially if you break down or bin it leading to emergency or recovery services being called away from doing something that actually is essential.

I'd rather the motorcycle press concentrated on the benefits of motorcycling for commuters, which is being ignored right now.

But don't mind me, maybe I am just being a bit grumpy after working from home for so bloody long now. Which may be for even longer if idiots start infecting themselves. :evil:
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

icon_thumbs_up.gif

Yes, can't fault that one. 8-)

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

MCN improving.....

Bikes forgotten again: Using a motorcycle as an alternative to public transport completely ignored by Government
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/mot ... ment-mcia/

As those who cannot work from home are asked to consider returning to work, the Government has advised that people should avoid using public transport where possible to prevent an increase in coronavirus transmissions.
In a round of interviews given to the media, Grant Shapps, the Secretary of State for Transport, suggested that instead people should walk, cycle or drive - completely ignoring the potential for motorcycles and scooters. This was despite Shapps being asked directly in Parliament by fellow MP and motorcyclist Dr Julian Lewis, what the government was doing to encourage people taking up two wheels. The answer incidentally was that they are ‘working on a number of projects', including 'sorting out potholes’.

This had lead the Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) to ask for regular riders to get involved, with a spokesperson saying: "Despite recent positive feedback received by the MCIA from Government regarding PTWs and their role in future transport policy, the MCIA was amazed to see motorcycles and scooters omitted from Grant Shapps' recent briefing, when he spoke about alternatives to public transport."
The MCIA is asking for riders to contact their local MP suggesting that Powered Two Wheelers (PTWs) could be the perfect answer to the impending transport crisis. They have put forward a draft letter, which is pasted below.

Dear Mr/Ms (INSERT YOUR MP’s SURNAME HERE)

I am writing to you as one of your constituents who is a user of a Powered Two Wheeler (PTW) who would like to know why Government is not endorsing their use as an alternative to public transport.

PTWs, in the form of low and zero emission scooters and light motorcycles, are a clean and efficient transport mode that require little road space for travel or parking and which can meet the needs of a variety of commuters, while at the same time fulfilling their social distancing and environmental obligations.

In the current climate they are the perfect alternative for those who would usually use public transport, but for whom walking and cycling are not viable options. Access to small PTWs is straightforward, with most requiring just the completion of a one-day training course, called CBT.
With so much going for them, it could be assumed that they would be heavily promoted by Government, as the country works towards easing lockdown, but unfortunately that is not the case.

In his briefing on Saturday, 9th May, the Secretary for State for Transport, the Rt. Hon. Grant Shapps MP, when promoting alternatives for public transport, extolled the road congesting private car and fast-tracked the consultation on un-regulated e-scooters, but ignored PTWs, even though they are already the choice of more than a million road users, like me, who are legal and regulated.
Consequently, I would very much appreciate your assistance in encouraging Government and others to promote PTWs as a valid alternative to public transport and beyond.

Yours faithfully
(INSERT YOUR NAME HERE)

Simply copy and paste this and insert the relevant names to send it to your local MP and help the cause.

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

A fantastic idea................

But perhaps if we suggested that our MP should go on an all expenses paid ( by you and me, the taxpayer) trip to a European city, any city, take your pick, to see how scooters are the answer to urban mobility there, they may be more interested...?
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Mine's always up for a jolly, being a mate of Boris. He just spent a week in the sin-bin for threatening somebody over some family business, on House of Commons notepaper!
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!