Quality of Frame Paint Burgman 400?

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Re: Quality of Frame Paint Burgman 400?

Post by barryG »

Hey Data, Ive done around 1600 miles now and will put another 270 odd on it tommorow as riding to Chatham and back. I too was going to fit a fender extender thing but so far I havent found too much crud getting onto the actual radiator. It seems to stick to the plastic just below it.

Oh, and its not lazy asking a question on here... despite some people saying otherwise!!! Forums are for chatting and asking for help/giving advice. You carry on ;)

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I cut my own from thin rubber sheet and fixified it with 3 or 4 short self tappers with those flat body clips inside the mudgaurd plus i made another flap out of rubber sheet that fits
inbetween the body work and the bottom of the Radiator, stops the nails being flicked up at the rear tyre and the sh1t going all over the body work...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Thanks guys, always nice to learn from those who go before... :) I like the idea of the flap to stop nails being flicked up at the rear tyre. Thats exactly how it happens eh... :o

Barry, how does she go now with 1600 on the clock? Plenty of power?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

To be honest not really much different, its now got around 1900 miles. I think the initial acceleration has improved but its mid range punch is a little dissapointing but thats cos my last scoots was better. Interestingly, my fuel economy is dropping rather than rising! Today I got around 66mpg riding up to Chatham and 69mpg coming home. Thats odd as I was riding about 70mph there and 75mph home so work that out! Again, my old Piaggio in tose conditions would have returned about 73mpg on that run.

Will check to see how much oil she used on that trip, was about 300 miles. Im almost starting to miss the Piaggio tbh... it was a better long distance cruiser, the Burgmans a little revvy and the Piaggios mid range power better for overtaking. Still, its a lovely scooter and all that :D

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

It's good you can make a comparision with your previous machine Barry. Compared to my Vstrom, my Burgman is quite different, but brilliant. Obviously not as fast, but am I bovvered!!! But one thing I will say is the Burgman is supremely comfortable over anything I had previously. But then you guys prolly know that already. I guess it's still early days regarding your performance and mpg's with just 1900 on the clock. The engine will continue to bed in and conform for several thousands of miles yet so there is definitely more to come in mph and mpg I would think. I find the faster I ride the Burgman the more mpg's it gives at the moment. Funny really. It's still at that initial running in stage and loosening nicely (250 miles). Maybe you had the airflow behind you on the way back from Chatham. Makes a difference. 8-)

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

I reckon its because it was warmer coming home! Used a tiny smidge of oil, about 1mm down on the sight glass so thats great :D

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

How's it going now Barry?

I've still only got just under 1000 miles on mine due to lack of riding time and I haven't been able to use it much for work lately for all sorts of reasons. So I haven't yet taken it over 6500rpm! But this weekend I will be breaking the 1000 mile barrier and will start to work the revs up a bit more and explore the upper regions of 'warp' drive! I will say it continues to run very very well and is a pleasure to ride in any weather. It is so much more powerful now over what it was when new. The finish on the bike, as you would expect is 'as new' still, inspite of being used in the salty weather. I honestly can't find any issues with the bike at the moment, it just goes and does it's job really well. MPG is averaging between 70-74 at the moment on very mixed riding but includes some 70mph work and quite a bit of country road 55-65mph riding. I expect that is about to change as I start upping the revs even more and using more power. I'm still learning about the bike but continue to be amazed at how good these engines are. What a gem! :o

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I fitted an extra mud flap i made myself out of rubber sheet about 1/16 thick, old car mat from Halfords will do the trick.
Cut to fit under the plastic belowe the Rad it stopped the crap from finding it's way up and around the motor, also stopped
nails and screws from ending up in your rear tyre, as they get flicked up off the front and end up pointy end first at the rear
end. Also made from the same stuff was a fender extender type mud flap a tad longer than the plastic items..Fixed to the
plastic mud guard with self tappers and speed clips inside, lower one with two cable ties to the plastic, no holes needed on
the 650 for that one. If you find a pic of my bike you will see what i mean, bike gone now so can't help with a pic.