Topbox

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
2up
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K7

Topbox

Post by 2up »

There's no topbox or carrier on my 400 K7 that I've just bought. I don't want to pay big bucks for a Givi setup when it's for occasional use only, maybe even just for touring once a year (the box that is!)

I'm thinking of getting my mate to fabricate a carrier plate to fit in the same way as the Givi carrier does and then maybe buy an Oxford topbox for a quarter of the price of a Givi setup. Anybody done similar, foresee any probs or otherwise have any views?

Only problem I see is correctly positioning the plate so it does not fit too far forward or back.

Paul

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Topbox

Post by Waldorf »

One sees the sense in your argument but the Givi will last a life-time - I transferred mine to new bikes and let it go with the last only because my next bike already has a topbox.
When funds permit I shall replace it with a bigger Givi - an E55 - and will consider it an investment as it will probably see me out.

Edit: I typed my reply without noticing Meldrew had posted - I concur with what he says....as you can see! :D
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

2up

Post by 2up »

Givi still seems an extravagance and it's quite difficult to justify the expense. I've been watching ebay but there are very few used Monokeys on there and they start very low and still end up making big money.

The Harley actually has custom made parts also. The sissy bar and rack is custom made because I wanted black rather than chrome parts and the engine/crash bars are made from 38mm stainless rather 25mm chrome tube, so that they match the big chunky forks on the Street Bob.

I wouldn't disagree though that Givi is probably the best.

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

I bought a shad 46 off ebay and just fitted the base plate to the rear of the bike with spacers and it works without a rack. Looks great too as its closer to the rear panel.

pikey

Post by pikey »

StevenM wrote:I bought a shad 46 off ebay and just fitted the base plate to the rear of the bike with spacers and it works without a rack. Looks great too as its closer to the rear panel.

I did that on my Silverwing as well

2up

Post by 2up »

Meldrew wrote:I've got a Givi E52 with a fitted passenger backrest that I no longer use since I bought the larger E55. I might offer it for sale here or on eBay.
Sounds good but I bet it's still worth a lot of money considering what they cost new.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

The top boxes they sell for Chinese scooters are usually quite cheap after all a Givi would cost more than the bike.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CHINESE-BIKE-S ... ub=9914177
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

2up

Post by 2up »

After much deliberation settled on this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAKE-COVER-51 ... 4d078d09b3

Well impressed for the money. Almost looks like a copy of the monokey system and I should be able to bolt the mounting plate direct to the Burg with spacers. Mine has a smooth silver top and could be painted to match. At that price you can afford to replace them if they fall to bits although I don't see why it should. Delivery was fast-only 2 days.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Definatly worth a punt you would pay as much for a givi plate on its own