Non starter problems.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Re: Non starter problems.

Post by michaelphillips »

NorfolkChris wrote:New plug fitted yesterday

Trying to start with the throttle open gives me a damp plug not wet. I would have expected it to be soaked considering how much I tried it.

I do have a multi meter but don't know what the reading should be. Nor where to put the probs either.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
you need to check the coil voltage, as if its not giving enough volts it wont be giving a good enough spark, this is a first step to see what you get... read the below link carefully and a few times so you get the gist, it will tell you the colour of the wire on coil and where to put the positive and neg of your probes, best with the alligator clips on probes, lots of voltage so be careful :kiss:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/384802 ... l?page=315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you wont have a peak volt adaptor so best to get help here so you can read the peak volts on cranking :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

NorfolkChris
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400. 2000

Post by NorfolkChris »

Just had another thought. Could the timing have slipped? Is the a way to check the timing ?

Got something on tomorrow so not sure I'll het a chance to have a look tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

who-me
Current Ride: Yamaha X Max 250 YP

Post by who-me »

I have been wondering about the timing chain being as it just cut out with out warning , hope its not !

NorfolkChris
Benefactor

Post by NorfolkChris »

Finally sussed whats wrong with the bike.

The coil is braking down under load.
Sprayed a bit of easy start into the plug hole, jump stated it from a mates van and eventually got her running, though it was obvious she was struggling. Turned the rev's up a bit so she would tick over. Gently applied the brake and she would cut out straight away. Did this a few times to confirm.

So now I need a coil for a 99 400 Burgman if anyone has one knocking about in the back of the shed, cash waiting.

A really big thank you to those who have helped with the diagnosis, it was really appreciated.

Chris

michaelphillips
Benefactor

like i stated before a friend i know tried 2 used coils before having to buy new... as far as i know (so best checking with pikey or ring the dealer) a new coil is about £100 and your scoot shares a lot with the 250 burgman of that era, even the wiring diagram and workshop manual is similar... anyways take a look at this picture and see if its the same as yours regarding wiring as this is great price new :D
http://www.stuff4bikes.co.uk/ignition-c ... 6230-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if i look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-Suzuki-bur ... 20e0a35a3f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it looks the same and same as this one http://www.bike-parts-suz.com/suzuki-re ... ID=5240143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is about £100 and is no 11 on the sheet

so i would go for the stuff4bikes one if the guy would let you return it if it dont work :!: so give them a call :D

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

You could also consider swapping it out and fitting a newer type coil stick pack if the plug hole dimensions are big enough ,may also be a lot cheaper . On the benellis we used Peugeot car coil sticks as replacements .

michaelphillips
Benefactor

i still think this would be your best bet. its new and at £20 you cant go wrong... the 250 and 400 had the same coil so :!:

http://www.stuff4bikes.co.uk/ignition-c ... 6230-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NorfolkChris
Benefactor

Post by NorfolkChris »

Bought one from the local scrappy (if I can I like to put a bit of business his way ). All fitted and up and running. If this coil goes pop then I will get the £20 coil as it is such a bargain.

Thank you very much for the link I have saved it too my favourites.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk