Seized handlebar holder

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tgeorgeson
Current Ride: Xmax 125

Seized handlebar holder

Post by tgeorgeson »

Hi all,

Someone attempted to break a steering lock on my xmax 125. All they seem to have done is de-aligned the handlebar holder. But they also seem to have made it pretty stuck.

The fork seems fine - but I just can't seem to re-align the steering head (number 3) at all. I've tried wd40 and holding the front wheel with my legs. I took the woodruff key out before trying.

Any ideas? I was considering using a blowtorch on the handlebar holder to see if that would help - but might end up causing some damage to the surrounding area.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Seized handlebar holder

Post by SH125Paul »

cant see any pics that the No 3 may indicate...
If I remember when the XMax400 went in for head bearing work...
The holder is on a taper, with woodfruf key as you mentioned...
Does that look sound right?
Tri a puller on it to get it off then re align and tighten down - rather than trying to twist...
Workshop had a 'mare getting mine off - well presume they eventually got it off...

tgeorgeson

Post by tgeorgeson »

Yes - the same issue, cheers.

Maybe I can fashion a puller from some other tools. If not, I'll see if a workshop has something.

Blowtorch is a last resort. It normally works when two metallic materials get stuck together.

Thanks!

Maxster
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Post by Maxster »

If you can get it to a decent friendly fabricator they'll get it off in 10 seconds,

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

If its aluminium alloy then heat would definitely do the trick, and maybe not as much heat as you might think so you might start of with boiling water. If possible leave the top nut loosely in place because a taper is likely to release abruptly and do you or the scooter some damage.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

think they ended up with a twin leg puller...
I have a draper puller can be converted from 3 to 2 legs etc...
duct tape around the bars etc before fitting the puller to avoid marking....
As mentioned may go abruptly - so pack around the area with rag to avoid damage and scratches to surrounding plastics / screen etc

tgeorgeson

Post by tgeorgeson »

Cheers. Couldn't find an angle with the 3 leg, so going to try again after ordering a 2 leg.

Thanks for the advice on the nut etc.

tgeorgeson

Post by tgeorgeson »

roadster wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:20 am If its aluminium alloy then heat would definitely do the trick, and maybe not as much heat as you might think so you might start of with boiling water. If possible leave the top nut loosely in place because a taper is likely to release abruptly and do you or the scooter some damage.
Just pour it on? Worth a try. Heat onto the handlebar holder than the thread (tube/fork header)?

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Wrap the holder in rag...
Then slowly pour on boiling water from the kettle...
That way the water wont go every wear and localised heat may help...

If the centre nut is undone - try bolting the bars back in the holder - something to waggle on when trying to free off...