XMax 300 tyres

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

XMax 300 tyres

Post by RobiXmax »

Hi folks
Calling all XMax 300 owners, I'm wondering who has swapped out the Mich City Grip tyres for another type, and what the results are. ALso, what are folks' views generally of the Michelins? To me they give a decent ride and are very good in the dry but I have doubts about the wet grip, especially at the front where I've had a couple of slides (nothing too major thankfully) at relatively low speeds but enough to question my confidence in them. I ride all year round, inc. on some pretty shonky roads.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: XMax 300 tyres

Post by MrGrumpy »

There are two camps - those who think City Grips are fabulous in all conditions and those who struggle with them in the wet! I've had them on a couple of mid-sized scoots (though not Xmax) and I hated them in the wet - it wasn't the lack of grip so much as the lack of feel. As I said, others think that they are utterly wonderful.
Alternatives are the Dunlops or Bridgstones - I've always found the B.stones very grippy but may not last as long as the Michelins.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I like the Michelin's, rear did 9000 miles changed about 1000 miles early due to puncture,
front is still on at 13000 miles but due for change soon.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Wombat
Current Ride: X Max 300

Post by Wombat »

XMax 300 sold in Australia are made in Indonesia. The OME tyres are Indonesian made Dunlop 'Scootsmart'. At 4000 km they look new, are stable with good feed back to 120 kph. They handle well on both wet and dry roads but I have yet to ride on them in heavy rain. So far I would be happy with them as replacements for the original tyres.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Being on lock down due to age I am going to change the front at 13000 miles it has
legal thread but is getting twitchy and tram lines so another City Grip is going on,
They are not made in France were the scooter is made but in I think Serbia, will
have to look to make sure.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Ralph wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 am Being on lock down due to age I am going to change the front at 13000 miles it has
legal thread but is getting twitchy and tram lines so another City Grip is going on,
They are not made in France were the scooter is made but in I think Serbia, will
have to look to make sure.
City Grips 2 are the current replacement.

Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The one's I have are just City Grips exactly the same as the oem ones that came off,
had them in the garage a few mouths but I am more than happy to use them will try
a pair of 2's next full change, didn't know there was a 2, but your right there is.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Happy with City Grips; no slides experienced when riding to conditions; some pretty mucky roads in Glarstersher!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

I currently have metzeler feelfree on the sh300i previously had the michilin city grips - found both do the job equally competent

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

As we're going into Spring I'll be optimistic about the weather and will probably stick with the City Grips as I've only got 5k on the clock. Will be interesting to hear views tho on the newer City Grip 2. Could be the obvious replacement. Incidentally, for those of us who are allowed out, what great weather for biking this week after months of friggin rain...