New Suzuki 250 on the way

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

New Suzuki 250 on the way

Post by StephenC »

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... 0cc-engine

Obviously Visordown is only thinking of it as a small "real bike" lump but I think it's pretty clear this is the next gen maxi-scoot engine (as well). I'm hoping it'll be a real competitor to the Xmax Bluecore :D

Suzuki patent new 250cc engine
The new Suzuki 250cc unit is the answer to Euro5 and could power bikes like the GSX250R and V-Strom 250
By Simon Hancocks Mon, 30 Mar 2020

SUZUKI is looking to the future with its range of mid-capacity machines as it patents a new cleaner 250cc engine.

The new engine should see bike like the GSX250R and V-Strom 250 remain in the Suzuki range through Euro5 and possibly beyond. In other markets, the new powerplant could see bikes like the Gixxer 250 SF, its naked cousin the Gixxer 250 and the GW250 Inazuma surviving the latest round of ever tightening global emissions targets.

To help circumnavigate the regulations, the new bike features a dual catalyst set up, that sees a smaller canister type catalyser fitted at the front of the engine. This type of set up is becoming a common answer in the quest for cleaner exhaust gases, with other manufacturers using the same trick – Yamaha’s latest R1 and R1M also use the method. The new exhaust system also features two lambda sensors, one above and one below the new front-mounted cat’.

It’s not a huge departure from the current version of the engine, that sees the exhaust system feed into a large, single catalyser mounted beneath the engine.

The current version of the 250cc unit produces around 26bhp at 9,000 rpm and 22.6 Nm of peak torque at 7,000 rpm – depending on the bike it’s in and tuning – and is matched with a 6-speed gearbox.

It’s likely that while this bike will still retain the same peak power figure as the current machine, outdoing it is unlikely. Suzuki may prefer to focus on making the new unit more rideable, with a smoother torque curve and a bit more low-down grunt.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: New Suzuki 250 on the way

Post by Greyerbeard »

Well it's basically the same engine as in my Inazuma; a physically large old lump - a pretty effective and enjoyable engine, but a bit large for a scoot?
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

I Do like that the Suzuki inazuma,sat on one last june at the royal enfield dealers,lots of room/nice seat they had two in a black one that took 9 months to sell and a red one [better] took over 10 months to sell.Should have had word with them .
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

richie the 1st wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 am I Do like that the Suzuki inazuma,sat on one last june at the royal enfield dealers,lots of room/nice seat they had two in a black one that took 9 months to sell and a red one [better] took over 10 months to sell.Should have had word with them .
Yes not many people wanted them new - 250s not that popular in UK these days!
Physically large and spacious for a 250 which was just what I wanted - bought, immaculate, at nearly 6 years old with 3k miles on it...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I'm afraid I agree - the packaging and design brief for a scooter engine is very different to a gear motorcycle. Placement, cooling, transmission, bore/stroke for torque curve to match CVT...

I'm afraid I don't expect this to end up in a scooter anytime soon.

Nick