Puncturesafe

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Puncturesafe

Post by smeghead »

I was undecided. Choice was puncture preventative or wiggly worm repair kit. I’ve used the wiggly worm kits a couple of times and they work really well. I repaired a tyre on an almost 2 tonne vehicle I owned a while ago and it lasted couple of weeks until I got a new tyre. But I decided on Puncturesafe, I figured prevention is better than the cure.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Puncturesafe

Post by Waldorf »

It's worked for me.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I know we've had this conversation before.....I used to use these products but found on a couple of occasions that they really didn't work very well. The best that could be said was that they let the air out slowly rather than quickly. The real downside with them is that if they don't work, then you are completely up shite creek, as you can't do a 'wiggly worm' repair, as the gunge blows the plug straight back out, so you need a trailer to a garage or be very handy at the roadside. So I decided that the safest course of action was in the case of puncture to rely on Mr AA Man to do a wiggly worm repair, so that I can ride home and get the puncture properly fixed or tyre replaced at my leisure.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

never had a good experiance with gloop puncturesafe ultraseal etc...
and some tyre places wont repair a puncture if its been used...
I like the idea of the self tapper plug for emergancies... but often the screw stays in... as for a glass or flint split dont think anything works...

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

i have the rubber mushroom things. an they work really well . plug a tyre an used it for the rest of it tyre life. didn't loose an air ether .
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Phantom, are your mushrooms sold as part of the TipTop puncture kit? I used them successfully back in the late 80s. Would love the same or similar. I've got the 'sticky worms' at the moment, and have used them only once, on the car's rear tyre - that was 2018 and ran the tyre with the repair until I replaced it this March. I'll have a search for TipTop in the meantime.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Puncturesafe is a fantastic product. It's actually Ultraseal but renamed for the UK market. Never ever had it let me down. I've already had 3 punctures in my rear tyre on my GTS that have been successfully and permanently repaired by it. My other bikes too have all had punctures successfully repaired by Puncturesafe. It's saved my bacon many times. And of course, once it has sealed the puncture, as long as it's not sidewall damage it's completely safe, permanent, and there is no speed restriction on the tyre, unlike if you get it repaired by mushrooms or those fibre string things which are all dangerous to use over long periods of time. They are temporary use only.

If the product doesn't work it's nearly always because the bike owner hasn't followed the Puncturesafe instructions on how to make sure you get a success seal of the puncture. If you do, it will work 99.9% of the time. The only times it won't work are if the hole is too big, usually over 6mm, or it's a gapping sidewall slash. I have watched folks at gathering who have Puncturesafe in their tyres just pull the nail out and watch in horror as the air and Puncturesafe just pisses out of the hole until there is nothing left in the tyre. Then they bad mouth the product and tell everyone it's a total waste of money. It's just that it isn't! If they had followed the Puncturesafe instructions the air would have stopped coming out and the hole would have sealed. Can't understand why folks don't read the instructions.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

I thought that the renaming was due to the formulation being changed to comply with EU rules which don't allow some of the nasties in the original US version

StuartBrown
Current Ride: T Max 530

Post by StuartBrown »

A word of warning!
I had a chat with a stand holder at Stafford Bike Show last year about his tyre sealant stuff.
He told me that his sealant - Bike Seal - was corrosion free.
Surely they all are corrosion free aren't they? I replied.
NO! Puncturesafe - the pale blue stuff is not. They had seen a Gold Wing wheel in a really bad way that had been running with this sealant.
I have just changed the front tyre on my Integra which has had Puncturesafe in it for about 8K miles, and I was shocked to see the state of the inside of the wheel rim. We have had to remove the new tyre again , clean up the corrosion and apply some sealant gunge to the wheel rim to get the tyre to hold pressure.
Yes, Puncturesafe works, but there is problem.
I now have Bike Seal in the front wheel.
Would like to know if anyone else has come across this.
Stu Brown
Matlock

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Data wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:31 am Puncturesafe is a fantastic product. It's actually Ultraseal but renamed for the UK market. Never ever had it let me down. I've already had 3 punctures in my rear tyre on my GTS that have been successfully and permanently repaired by it. My other bikes too have all had punctures successfully repaired by Puncturesafe. It's saved my bacon many times. And of course, once it has sealed the puncture, as long as it's not sidewall damage it's completely safe, permanent, and there is no speed restriction on the tyre, unlike if you get it repaired by mushrooms or those fibre string things which are all dangerous to use over long periods of time. They are temporary use only.

If the product doesn't work it's nearly always because the bike owner hasn't followed the Puncturesafe instructions on how to make sure you get a success seal of the puncture. If you do, it will work 99.9% of the time. The only times it won't work are if the hole is too big, usually over 6mm, or it's a gapping sidewall slash. I have watched folks at gathering who have Puncturesafe in their tyres just pull the nail out and watch in horror as the air and Puncturesafe just pisses out of the hole until there is nothing left in the tyre. Then they bad mouth the product and tell everyone it's a total waste of money. It's just that it isn't! If they had followed the Puncturesafe instructions the air would have stopped coming out and the hole would have sealed. Can't understand why folks don't read the instructions.
I’m very good at following instructions!