That's Bob (whitty)'s old one. Don't know the current owner, but it was a cracker when Bob had it.Jimo wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:30 pm Here’s a nice one just up, in Wolverhampton! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303673014302
Looks well cared for and ready for road with V5!
Jim?
HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
-
Deleted User 4154
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
-
Deleted User 4154
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
NEWSFLASH: People restore classic scooters. And not only is the Helix a classic - it is the original maxi-scooter, after all - it's still a perfectly practical proposition to ride on a daily basis. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on them; other bikes come and go, but I very much doubt I'd part with the two I have now. There's more interest in them on here now than when I first turned up back in the day. Maybe you should try one?MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:55 am You can buy much better more modern scoots that are in excellent condition that don't need the next 6 months of your life to spent on them!

I worry about some of you lot, I really do. For the record I have taxed and ridden far worse, to no ill effect.Rocketman122 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:15 am It looks like a huge project. The rust looks. Like it destroyed that scooter

That one looks like this these days...

Well worth the effort, even if I do say so myself
-
maxiscootnz
- Benefactor
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 11:09 pm
- Current Ride: various
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
5 mins from central cityPandrop wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 pm
80s Cool ..even better ! Havent been to Welly for ages, whereabouts are you?
Honda fc50 beat, dragster180, spacey250, cn250 Helix , C1(192) k100rs, r1100s
- Pandrop
- Benefactor
- Posts: 159
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 pm
- Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix
- Location: Bingley Yorkshire
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
Fab, I have have a few family up around the Auckland area but an Aunt in Upper Hutt , a friend in Paekak, some in Karori and friends in Dannevirke too. Spent three months out there some years back spending time with lots of different people absolutely loved it , what a stunning country you are very lucky to live out there.maxiscootnz wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:53 am5 mins from central cityPandrop wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 pm
80s Cool ..even better ! Havent been to Welly for ages, whereabouts are you?
- Pandrop
- Benefactor
- Posts: 159
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 pm
- Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix
- Location: Bingley Yorkshire
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
Rocketman122 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:15 am I guess it depends who you ask if its cool haha
I just think you have your work cut out for you there. I hope youre successful. It looks like a huge project. The rust looks. Like it destroyed that scooter
Nah, its not so bad, mostly just surface rust, its been standing for a long time and It looks worse than it is I reckon. Mrs Pandrop is not talking to me as it has nabbed the last bit of available space in the garage and has a rather unpleasant nickname for it , but I have broad shoulders I can take the grief
- Pandrop
- Benefactor
- Posts: 159
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 pm
- Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix
- Location: Bingley Yorkshire
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
Agreed Jaz ! its a beauty, true classic and I love the transformation of yours.Jaz wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:39 amNEWSFLASH: People restore classic scooters. And not only is the Helix a classic - it is the original maxi-scooter, after all - it's still a perfectly practical proposition to ride on a daily basis. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on them; other bikes come and go, but I very much doubt I'd part with the two I have now. There's more interest in them on here now than when I first turned up back in the day. Maybe you should try one?MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:55 am You can buy much better more modern scoots that are in excellent condition that don't need the next 6 months of your life to spent on them!
I worry about some of you lot, I really do. For the record I have taxed and ridden far worse, to no ill effect.Rocketman122 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:15 am It looks like a huge project. The rust looks. Like it destroyed that scooter
That one looks like this these days...
Well worth the effort, even if I do say so myself![]()
I have always ridden motorcycles, loved them since I was a boy, the only scooters I ever liked the look of was the old Vespas and Lambrettas which I thought looked great. Then I saw the Helix and I was instantly attracted. Having now got one, as rough as it is , I can see why it sold so well and I will tidy this up enough to get it out on the road and then over winter have a proper dig at it.
I swapped the oils out last night, cleaned the oil filter, ran it for ten minutes drained them out again, re-filled with more fresh oil , ran for ten minutes drained it out overnight and ill refill with a fresh load this morning and just keep working through it - carb- fuel and air filter etc, I dont need a handbrake option at the moment so no worries about fixing that straight away , ill whip the wheels off and run them down to the local bike tyre bloke who will pop a couple of tyres on for me and bolt all the body work back together next week. Im ordering the lock sets from the states and new mirrors from fleabay. The lights work, the dash lights up , I havent worked out what the oil guage half red half green indicator works and It has a completely unused toolset in the boot ( no black honda bag ) but its all there. but She's a beauty , im smitten.
Other parts needed that I can see so far:
Handle bar plastic cover R/H
Metal splash panel that sits over exhaust pipe
Front wheel handbrake lever
Indicators dont work - but that could just be a fuse
I dont have any original owner's booklets etc so ill be looking for those as I always like to have a full set of original kit for each bike.
- Data
- Benefactor
- Posts: 3312
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm
- Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
- Location: Starfleet Command, North Essex Branch, UK
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
That's a cracking project bike. I love the CN. It's been a long time since I tackled anything like that though. Do keep us all up to date on how it's going. Good luck!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! 
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
- Jimo
- Benefactor
- Posts: 664
- Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 pm
- Current Ride: 92 Helix
- Location: Fakenham, Norfolk, UK
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
The part Green/part Red indicator signifies ‘oil change’ time and looks in the process of turning Red, as you’ve changed the oils you turn the indicator back to Green by inserting ign key into small slot nearby and below.
When you get your new keys this will take 1/2 second to do.
It looks as if you have buttons where TRIP and MPH/Kph are - so that’s ok! - but if I’m wrong I’ve made a set for you.
Good luck with the project Andrew, I feel sure you’ll sort it.
Jim
When you get your new keys this will take 1/2 second to do.
It looks as if you have buttons where TRIP and MPH/Kph are - so that’s ok! - but if I’m wrong I’ve made a set for you.
Good luck with the project Andrew, I feel sure you’ll sort it.
Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70
-
maxiscootnz
- Benefactor
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 11:09 pm
- Current Ride: various
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
What you should do if you have not already is obtain a service manual. These are available free on the web or you can view on an American site called The Honda helix discussion board . Lots of info on this site as it is a forum and dedicated to this ugly but awesome scoot. The plastics are not that hard to remove if you have the time . Better still some passion. You are lucky to have a early one as i think they are a better build quality. Yours has the cast steel rims which are superior to the later alloy ones. Far more durable. This scoot is worthy of a restoration. What year of manufacture does it state on the registration papers? From the vin number stamped on a tag under the fuel tank i have the codes to explain the build details color year factory etc . Its the vintage take on what the OBD2 scanners will give you on a modern bike if you care to love your ride. Good luck take your time keep it coming and stay safe.
Honda fc50 beat, dragster180, spacey250, cn250 Helix , C1(192) k100rs, r1100s
- Pandrop
- Benefactor
- Posts: 159
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:15 pm
- Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix
- Location: Bingley Yorkshire
Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !
Cheers DataData wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:32 am That's a cracking project bike. I love the CN. It's been a long time since I tackled anything like that though. Do keep us all up to date on how it's going. Good luck!