Puncturesafe

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Puncturesafe

Post by smeghead »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:01 am
smeghead wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:36 am I've not ridden the scooter since the puncture due to other stuff occurring. Today I checked the tyre and it's as flat as a fart. Not happy! ☹️
Yeah, well the stuff isn't perfect. Maybe you should have ridden it more when you found the foreign body? The snag now might be that you could be up shite creek. If you can't persuade the gunge to reseal, which could be tricky, then there's no alternative to taking the wheel off and getting the puncture fixed (internal plug) or the gunge removed. You won't be able to do a temp puncture fix (external plug) with the gunge in.
Yup, I’ve pumped it up and will check tomorrow, if it’s ok I’ll pop out for a gentle tool around the village. Failing that I’ll have to take the wheel off. It’s a piss about without a bike stand. I remember the self same thing happening to the first GTS I had and the job is a right faff. I do have a spare gasket though.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, if you've managed to pump it up at all, that's a good sign, though of course it will almost certainly deflate again with time, so I presume you will need a permanent fix, sooner or later.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes, if you didn't ride it after the puncture the sealant and fibres won't have worked itself fully into the hole. That's mostly the reason why you had black gunge coming out of the hole after you removed the screw instead of blue gunge I suspect. It didn't occur to me you maybe hadn't ridden it. All you need do is reinflate and spin the wheel quickly and it should seal again, but try and ride it straight away, that's very very important to do that. I'd over inflate your tyre too to make sure you have plenty of puff in there. It will seal and you won't have any more problems I'll warrant. It won't leak again if you do those things. If you do want to have a professional repair (that's inferior) you can do that as the puncturesafe just washes out of the tyre. Don't put any temporary repair stuff in there, it isn't necessary and it's inferior. It also ruins your tyre so you can't have a repair made.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

I decided a new tyre was the right way to go. I didn’t know I should have ridden the scooter! I have more Puncturesafe and I’ll pop it in some day soon. £60 fitted. I took the wheel off though.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yeah, riding is important. That way the tyre is put under load and gets the hole teased open a little to allow more fibres into it. Never mind. Glad you got it sorted.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

[quote=Data post_id=300951 time=1603358664 user_id=2030]
Yeah, riding is important. That way the tyre is put under load and gets the hole teased open a little to allow more fibres into it. Never mind. Glad you got it sorted.
[/quote

It’s all shiny lol. And now has more Puncturesafe in. The scoot is riding beautifully, I’ve done 1700 miles now and I’ve noticed an improvement in the way it goes from around 1300. Still doing 90mpg plus. It’s smoother than a Spanish waiter on the pull.

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

Did the tyre place manage to balance the new tyre ?
Lots of places say they can’t balance them or they don’t fit on there machine .

This includes a very large local main Piaggio dealer near me :roll:

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

DTO wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm Did the tyre place manage to balance the new tyre ?

No, tbh I wasn’t impressed. I’m certain they should be balanced. Having said all that I’ve ridden it and there’s no vibration or wobble at all. I really didn’t like the bloke in the bike shop, he was a know all tosser, I won’t be going back there.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

DTO wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm Did the tyre place manage to balance the new tyre ?

No, tbh I wasn’t impressed. I’m certain they should be balanced. Having said all that I’ve ridden it and there’s no vibration or wobble at all. I really didn’t like the bloke in the bike shop, he was a know all tosser, I won’t be going back there. He said he never balances scooters, also that he can only feel unbalanced bike wheels when it’s doing at least a ton.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

When I fitted two new Bridgestone’s to my Helix I installed Puncturesafe as recommended - WITH THE VALVES REMOVED, the wheels were rotated a while to evenly distribute the stuff - AND ONLY THEN WERE THE VALVES REPLACED AND THE TIRES INFLATED to recommended pressure.
Failure to remove the valve BEFORE INSTALLING Puncturesafe will not only cause difficulty inserting the product but also cause the valve to become clogged by the product causing future difficulty in inflation. But that’s just my take on the subject....

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70