Oh Mr Sandman...

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Oh Mr Sandman...

Post by Red Dog »

So, I've been harbouring a dream of taking the Burger down to the Western Sahara, (health & circumstances permitting).

People's thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Re: Oh Mr Sandman...

Post by Pandrop »

There was a bloke ..cant remember his name who went around the world (I think...or Europe) on an old Honda Super Cub so Its not as mad as it sounds ...perhaps have a large supply of air filters, Rad-weld and run-flat tyres ....there's a book I read years ago called Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon... if you read that and you wont be able to stop yourself going ....please keep us up to date with any developments

Tartan Cobbler
Benefactor
Current Ride: nothing

Post by Tartan Cobbler »

Jupiter's Travels is a must read..... probably dated somewhat now tho

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

I did a Europe trip in 2017 with a BMW GS and a 1000cc Kawasaki for company and the Burger coped just fine. Mind you, that was on proper roads.

The roads through Morocco look fine on Google maps, and I don't really intend riding off into the desert, I just want to get to the Sahara for bragging rights.
Then I will be able to say, "I rode this thing in the Sahara desert" and no one except you guys will know I only rode 100 yds into it before turning back. Lol.

I am worried about sandy conditions though. I need to do some more research.

Here's a vid of my Europe trip.

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Red Dog wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:09 pm I did a Europe trip in 2017 with a BMW GS and a 1000cc Kawasaki for company and the Burger coped just fine. Mind you, that was on proper roads.

The roads through Morocco look fine on Google maps, and I don't really intend riding off into the desert, I just want to get to the Sahara for bragging rights.
Then I will be able to say, "I rode this thing in the Sahara desert" and no one except you guys will know I only rode 100 yds into it before turning back. Lol.

I am worried about sandy conditions though. I need to do some more research.

Here's a vid of my Europe trip.

Enjoyed the Video, one of your mates looks like a Journo who used to write for perfomance bike magazine many moons ago.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Thanks.
I have read Jupiter's travels BTW and you are right, it is excellent and very inspiring.

The Super Cub bloke's name is Ed something. He's done several epic trips now.

I'm just watching a YouTube series about a tiny scrap of a girl going solo around the world on a Fireblade. It makes me feel like such a wimp.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

I rarely get further than the county border these days, but an old man can dream when old men and their heart pills ride the length of South America on a 125 Honda!

I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

So I’ve still got a chance at 83 taking 12 pills a day & having 9 coronary stents! Wacco! icon_power-ranger.gif

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70