Another DCT Honda Option

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootalli
Current Ride: T Max 530

Another DCT Honda Option

Post by Scootalli »

Okay not a scooter, but will be DCT available:

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... could-look

CB1100x,

Not sure what specs it will be, but is using the Africa Twin engine which is 100bhp (in the Africa Twin and 87bhp in the Rebel 1100)

Could be a good power alternative to an XADV.

Torque is high, so could be quite interesting.

Rebel 1100 already confirmed

No storage and chain drive of course, but then so is the ADV! :)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Another DCT Honda Option

Post by MrGrumpy »

A new Deauville using broadly similar mechanical bits was rumoured to be coming, but no sign of that yet!

btw you can fit a full face helmet under the X-ADV's seat - ditto with later Integras and new Forza 750s

Scootalli

Post by Scootalli »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:28 pm btw you can fit a full face helmet under the X-ADV's seat - ditto with later Integras and new Forza 750s
Sorry I was being facetious!

Althought the Transalp might be a 750 version... (Deauville?)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah - well, the early Integras annoyed me - I could contemplate buying a bike/scoot with limited storage but with belt/shaft drive OR good storage and a chain, but NOT with crap storage AND a chain!
At least they've fixed it to an extent, even if the space isn't vast.
Actually, I now think that the old Deauville with DCT would be an attractive proposition, even if storage was limited to panniers & topbox - on my one & only ride of one, the old Deauville V-twin engine didn't strike me as anything like as annoying as the NC engine in the Integra/X-ADV!

Scootalli

Post by Scootalli »

I think this is the downside of the multi platform approach,

I can see why they do it, they have to use an engine that is good for many applications and space is a big factor hence the parallel twin format for 750 and 1100 versions.

It is a somewhat boring engine, but is reliable and has torque with good fuel economy

Of course much of the fun of a bike is the experience and we are getting robbed a bit in that respect for the sake of economies of scale.

But none of these bikes are cheap either. I do quite like the DCT, but I think they should have hooked it up to belt drive

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

Scootalli wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:31 pm

It is a somewhat boring engine, but is reliable and has torque with good fuel economy

Of course much of the fun of a bike is the experience and we are getting robbed a bit in that respect for the sake of economies of scale.

Having owned the 700 an 750 of the NC ranges and the xadv. Plus ridden the africa twin all in DCT. I can say they are not a boring engine , far from it . You can have a great deal of fun on these machines. they are easier to ride quickly in DCT. the biggest problem with DCT is the press an their attitude.put a bike press rider on one, an all they can say is it's slow an boring because it can't pull 100 mph wheelies an do 180 mph top speed an has less than 100bhp . ok they are right. but that's not what the bike was designed for. it's built as an every day bike . a commuter or a sencible tourer . they do this far better , an cost less to run . .
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Scootalli

Post by Scootalli »

I have owned a ADV with DCT, so know the engine, (750) not ridden the Africa Twin, so am quite hopeful about that and the CB1100x

It is okay, but it isnt an exciting engine, not to say you cant have fun on the bike as it can keep up more than sufficient speed down a country road,

It is a bit lacking above 70mph, (Ie illegal speeds)

I agree with your point about the journalists, but you are limited to just over 6k redline and you dont get the noise and excitment of a 1000cc engine going through 7k revs up to 12k!

Yes, that isnt very useful on the road, but when you are pulling hard on 1000cc bike through 4k revs and you think holy crap this is fast and you hit 7-8k revs and it goes again, that is excitment!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

On my X-ADV testride I had no real problem with the DCT - as long as there are sports modes to make things less tedious, but I didn't like the slogging vibey style of the engine (yes, I know it actually works & peforms well, and is economical!). I seem to recall that I found the Deauville engine - which was an actual V-twin rather than a parallel twin made to feel like a V-twin - a lot less intrusive.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

phantom309 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:10 pm
Scootalli wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Having owned the 700 an 750 of the NC ranges and the xadv. Plus ridden the africa twin all in DCT. I can say they are not a boring engine , far from it . You can have a great deal of fun on these machines. they are easier to ride quickly in DCT. the biggest problem with DCT is the press an their attitude.put a bike press rider on one, an all they can say is it's slow an boring because it can't pull 100 mph wheelies an do 180 mph top speed an has less than 100bhp . ok they are right. but that's not what the bike was designed for. it's built as an every day bike . a commuter or a sencible tourer . they do this far better , an cost less to run . .
People who want to do 180mph and high speed wellies should be made to foot their own hospital bills entirely, and for LIFE. it’s a hideously stupid way of carrying on.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Im guessing that this is meant to be an alternative to the Ducati Multistrada, BMW S1000XR, KTM SuperDuke etc etc. If so it's lacking in the horses department.
I like Hondas, always have, and people will buy these because of brand loyalty etc, just wondering why it took so long to join the party with so many other now very established naked sports tourers available with heaps more grunt ? Having said that I'm sure it will do very well.