Exhaust problem

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Exhaust problem

Post by Stibbs »

Hi all, after some advice please. Went for a ride yesterday and noticed blowing exhaust from area where silencer joins down pipe. Got considerably worse as I approached home. I only changed that exact gasket about a year ago so was surprised it would blow already. However, today I’ve removed Tupperware on off side and had a look and it appears one of the bolts holding the exhaust onto the engine casing has fallen out. This has put extra strain on the other one and the result is it’s come away from the engine casing by cracking around the bolt housing!!
I’ve replaced the bolt that’s fallen out but obviously this leaves me a problem as to how I secure the other bolt when the female side of the bolt casing has come away from the engine :o
Could this be repaired by welding or is it going to cost me a huge amount to repair :cry: thanks for any advice.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Exhaust problem

Post by Ralph »

Have a look on Evil bay you may find a original silencer cheap,
one that may have been changed to fit a sports type, that sort of thing.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Ralph wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:51 pm Have a look on Evil bay you may find a original silencer cheap,
one that may have been changed to fit a sports type, that sort of thing.
Worse than that Ralph. The join between the engine casing and exhaust manifold has cracked. That’s actually on the engine casing.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I get it now the cylinder head has cracked.
if there's enough metal could the bolt hole be deepened
and helicoiled then bolt it all together with something like JB weld.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 17800

Post by Deleted User 17800 »

I lost thread on top bolt on cylinder head and helicoiled it .While doing that also drilled right thro so could put longer bolt and add a nut on back .If enough of casting left could try that .Id look at replacing rubbers if keeping stock exhaust I think when these go vibration leads to gasket fail and puts strain on top bolts.

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Burgerboy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 pm I lost thread on top bolt on cylinder head and helicoiled it .While doing that also drilled right thro so could put longer bolt and add a nut on back .If enough of casting left could try that .Id look at replacing rubbers if keeping stock exhaust I think when these go vibration leads to gasket fail and puts strain on top bolts.
Yup agreed...get plenty rubber in there to kill those vibrations and some Locktite on the threads .