00 AN400 not starting

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
N00Burg
Current Ride: AN400

00 AN400 not starting

Post by N00Burg »

Hi all,

My 00 AN400 decided to cut out on me whilst riding, I noticed that before it cut out the speedo needle was moving erratically, from what I am aware of could be an electrical problem. I left it to rest for a few moment then I tried to start it again but when I pushed the start button it made a loud click and the power cut out.
Tried jump starting from a car battery and it would just groan as if trying to turn over for a few moments, but no joy.

I checked the rectifier and noticed the connectors are brown, it could be that the rectifier is overheating? I had problems with the rectifier in the past, it wouldn't charge the battery so I replaced it with the on that is mounted.
Battery seems ok at 12.24V

Is there anything that I need to check?

Thanks

Deleted User 4154

Re: 00 AN400 not starting

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Hi there. My first suspicion would be your battery... I would want to see 12.4-12.5V across the terminals at rest.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Check the battery voltage when you switch on and also when you press the starter. If it stays above 9 volts while attempting to crank the battery itself is probably OK if so then repeat the voltage reading at the starter main terminal. It should be more or less the same as at the battery while cranking ( or attempting cranking ) so if its a lot lower there is a problem on the starter relay or its connections. A battery which has high internal resistance may show a normal voltage until put under load but break down during starting or through road vibration. Don't forget to check earth connections between battery, frame, and engine ( i.e. do the voltage checks using battery negative as well as engine as the earth point).
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

N00Burg
Current Ride: AN400

Post by N00Burg »

Hi Jaz, thanks for the reply,

I also tried connecting my booster which gave me 14v but still no joy, I also noticed that it drained my fully charged booster and the plus terminal on the battery was a tad on the hot side :?

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

N00Burg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:08 am Hi Jaz, thanks for the reply,

I also tried connecting my booster which gave me 14v but still no joy, I also noticed that it drained my fully charged booster and the plus terminal on the battery was a tad on the hot side :?
If the drain was only when trying to start then starter is to blame but if the drain occurs as soon as you connect then the regulator/rectifier may have shorted diodes which allow reverse current to drain the battery. A stalled starter motor will also cause rapid battery drain so there could also be a mechanical fault preventing the engine turning over.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...