Driven

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Re: Driven

Post by Red Dog »

No, definitely a rubbery smell. (No Chinese jokes please)
I have seen reports of it from other Burgman 400 riders, if not here then perhaps on the USA forum.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Red Dog wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:34 am Waiting for my new belt so trying to work out why my belt wore out prematurely.

Outer teeth missing on belt and marks on variator cover would seem to suggest the belt is riding too high on the front pulley.

Thoughts?

Image Image

I've just measured the old belt and it appears to be 25mm. Does that sound right?

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

So I'm taking the variator cover off again in the next couple of days to check if everything is OK. Whilst I'm in there, do I need to service the rear variator, I.e. take it apart and clean & re grease?
I haven't taken the rear variator apart whilst I've owned the scoot, (20,000 miles)

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

It’s quite likely that your worn out belt created a lot of dust and debris in the whole transmission so while you’re visiting the area it would be a very good idea to dismantle ALL variator parts and give them a good clean.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Yes Jim, I know you're right, I'm just not looking forward to wrestling with that spring and that big nut.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

It is possible to get a large spring compressor to deal with removing the large nut, if you have a friendly garage operator he may loan you a suitable compressor - which is what I did.

Jim

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

I do have a friendly garage operator.
How did you hold the clutch assembly still while you removed the nut and torqued it back on?

Tom.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

With the clutch assembly removed from the bike I used my 6” jawed bench vice to grip the assembly then used large spring compressor (loaned from garage) and ‘Breaker Bar to slacken large nut.... reverse process to re-assemble using torque wrench to tighten nut.....this was on my CN250 Helix, sizes may differ for the Burgman, I had to buy a 1/2” drive socket spanner large enough to fit the large clutch nut (this was larger than those in my pretty comprehensive socket set.

Jim

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Cheers Jim. I have a bench vice and a torque wrench, I will have to investigate the purchase of a big socket. (54mm I believe)

I'm a bit slow getting started due the the effects of unexpectedly parting company with my pushbike whilst negotiating some icey cobbles.

Image Image Image