Hello from X Max 400 owner

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Hello from X Max 400 owner

Post by velocipede6295 »

Long time rider here, I have had lots of bikes over the years, mainly 250 -750 motorcycles, plus several twist and go scooters.
I currently have a Yamaha X Max 400, which I bought new in Feb 2020 and have covered 5000 miles, to date. There is a lot on the forum from X Max 300 owners, but not much from X Max 400 owners - did I buy the wrong one I wonder?
I'm looking forward to Spring ( like most people ) when hopefully, lockdown will be over, and we can get out on the road again.
Thanks for having me.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Re: Hello from X Max 400 owner

Post by Rocketman122 »

I probably would go for the 400 myslef too if i were interested in that scooter.

btw, is this the engine from the majesty 400? I do like the style of the majesty. shame they didnt update it. even the majesty 250 from years back was a scooter I really wanted.

does it have dual combined front discs?
also, do you do your own maintenance?

if youre happy with it, thats all that matters.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

:lol: :lol: :lol: As a former owner of the 300 I would say YES, YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG ONE! But actually, it depends on your use as the extra power of the 400 makes it more suitable for high speed or for carrying pillion.

Welcome to the club
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Welcome to the club, hopefully we will all be released from this lockup soon. My first maxi-scoot was a 2000 Yamaha Majesty 250, which I brought whilst owning a touring Pan-European 1100. That scooter was brilliant, I did a 1050 mile trip on it in 24hours, Luxury in its day.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

I'm sorry, Rocketman122,but I don't know if it is the same engine as the Majesty. It does have twin front discs, the brakes are excellent ,and can pull you up very quickly. As for maintenance, I have had the first 600 miles service ( carried out at nearly 2000 miles because the dealer was closed due to 1st lockdown - oil and filter changed by me at 600) done at the Yamaha dealer, plus done another oil change myself at 3000 miles, and had the radiator replaced under warranty. I will have the 6000 mile/ 12 month service done Feb/ March, or when we can resume riding for pleasure, and the dealer opens again after this latest lockdown. The battery went flat (ish) and wouldn't start the bike last week due to not being used for a while, so I bought an Optimate Duo 1, and attached it to the battery,and threaded the lead into the cubby hole on the right side of the bike where it can stay. The front cover was a faff to remove to access the battery - but there is a good video on you tube about removing it on the X Max 300 ( 400 is just the same).
Re Stevnc's comments - I would probably have been alright with the 300. However the 400 was a good pre reg deal, with only 2 miles on the clock,and as I am no lightweight, I thought the extra capacity wouldn't go amiss. The 400 goes well with a fair bit left to give at 70.
Re - Dave Weller - The best twist and go scooter I had, Dave, was my first, in 2002, a Piaggio X9, 500 - very quick , but a bit gimmicky with the self operating electro/hydraulic centre stand, and built in radio /communication system.The worst was a Peugeot Sum Up 125, in 2008.
How do you like your NC 750S?

Thanks for the welcome.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I had 3 X9s, 2 of them 500's, there is a lot of info on the X9 riders club forum, they were very reliable scooters, the mileage the club did over the years proves that.
My NC750S DCT is about as good a small tourer can be, auto box and good mpg. I fitted a big Givi screen previously fitted to a Moto Guzzi to it,
My Silverwing has a bit better weather protection and I use that for Honda Owners club rides in bad weather.
Hopefully we will be out soon.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Yes, I liked the X9, it went very well indeed. I bought it new, and covered 10,000 miles in 18 months. I started hearing a metallic noise sometimes when I pushed it off the centre stand - I should have investigated! One day whilst out on the bike, the oil warning light came on, and I pressed the kill switch. I found a bad oil leak underneath the bike, coming from the oil filter. I was recovered, only a couple of miles to my home, by Green Flag. I found there was a rubber bung that stops the centre stand coming into contact with the oil filter, the bung having worn away, and the metallic noise I'd heard, was the centre stand hitting the oil filter. A new rubber bung, fresh oil and filter, was all that was needed, and the engine was undamaged. I later part ex'd it for a Bonneville.
What year is your 750S DCT? Why I ask is I test rode one, and I found most of the time the gearbox was great, but on hilly roads with tight uphill bends it felt in too low a gear, and was chugging / juddering which put me off, and I didn't buy it. I would probably have got used to it by going down a gear manually under such circumstances. I understand they have changed it a bit since 2018, and the gearbox changes down sooner automatically, than the earlier model.
I still fancy an NC 750X DCT,and may get one in the future.
You certainly have a good selection of Hondas there!

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

ah x9. didnt it have a built in lasso lock in the body?

was the center stand durable over time? it does sound neat. shame on the rubber bung coming off. should be secured better by mfr. I absolutely hate it when the center stand is missing the rubber stopped and it slams up into the engine.

I had 2 typhoon 125cc 2 stroke. they fell apart fast. I badly wanted to get the gilera runner 180cc 2 stroke. they brought the 4 stroke only.

I had 100cc/125/150/200/250/400/600cc scooters. 400 is a good sweet spot. extra power for takeover and the engine doesnt work too hard on highways for long tours. my burgman 400 would drive calmly up hills at 5500rpm. I almost never pass 6500rpm

if youre happy with the

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

My X9 didn't have a lasso type lock, I think some Peugeots had those. The stand did work all the time I had the bike, although I know some stopped working. My bikes have an easy life, as they are kept in a garage and only used in fair weather, so that helps.
An excellent 125 scooter was a Honda S Wing 125 I had. It was spacious, and went very well for such a small engine,
and you could go for reasonably long ( 80-90 mile) trips without too much discomfort. I should have kept it as a 2nd bike along with the X Max, but
I find my garage a bit cramped with 2 bikes so I PX'd it.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Yes, it was Pugs which had some nice chain features.

The Elystar had a chain that was built into the bike and the Satelis used an Abus chain that was locked from the inside of the boot.

I had 2 Elystars and 3 Satelis: loved them all.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should