Silence Electric Scooters In UK

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Silence Electric Scooters In UK

Post by roadster »

The official importers are now established with UK stock of the S01.
https://www.silenceuk.com

Once restrictions allow I look forward to testing. The web site makes no outrageous performance claims but does make the case for the S01 being a very practical proposition. You would hope that this model has been in production for long enough for any issues to have been ironed out. The importers also give a professional impression so the warranty and AA cover do inspire some confidence in my opinion.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Silence Electric Scooters In UK

Post by MrGrumpy »

What a silly brand name!!! Scoots look OK I guess - the S01 is an elec scoot with equivalent performance to a 125 and costs more or less the same. So fine for commuting....though I think I'd still give one of those new 300cc decent looking but cheap Chinese scoots instead!!

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Interesting.

My NIU has a top speed of 45 MPH and a range up to 100 miles or so; I have to remind myself that if I want to travel 100 miles it will be at around 12 MPH.

The charging time of 6 - 8 hours seems rather a long time.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

Waldorf wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 pm Interesting.

My NIU has a top speed of 45 MPH and a range up to 100 miles or so; I have to remind myself that if I want to travel 100 miles it will be at around 12 MPH.

The problem with charging is that many household three pin sockets, although nominally rated at 13 amps, will not be happy ( or safe?) with a high continuous output. So if you want indoor charging the charger, which in this case is built into the removable battery pack, has got to be designed for the lowest common denominator of multi-region power supplies. This particular pack has also been designed for long life and this is also one of the factors which restrict maximum power output.
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

For urban commuting this looks pretty usable and I especially like the removable battery on a trolley. Just waiting on a 250/300 equivalent now but apart from the battery motor upgrade it would also need ABS, so a bit more complex to achieve.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

This is one practical aspect of the S01 that looks very promising. I am told that these are full face helmets...

ImageImageImage

I quite like that colour too, at least for visibility.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, that's impressive (assuming they are full face). So many elec scoots seem to have no space under the seat....or at least what there is is fully of battery! And yes, the colour is great! It does appear to be a sensible buy for a commuter scoot, assuming 125 performance with a 62mph top speed is adequate for your commute.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

roadster wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:53 am
Waldorf wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 pm Interesting.

The problem with charging is that many household three pin sockets, although nominally rated at 13 amps, will not be happy ( or safe?) with a high continuous output. So if you want indoor charging the charger, which in this case is built into the removable battery pack, has got to be designed for the lowest common denominator of multi-region power supplies. This particular pack has also been designed for long life and this is also one of the factors which restrict maximum power output.
I'm not altogether sure what your point is in relation to my post.
I charge my scooter from an external socket in my yard. The plugs and sockets are standard 13amp ones.
The stated time for a full charge from on the NIU is 3.5 - 4 hours although it takes longer when the weather is cold.

My point is merely that 6-8 hours seems to be a long time, double what mine takes.

The two batteries on mine have a life of 2000 cycles.

I'm coming up to 500 miles now and have nothing but praise for the scooter.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

100miles at 55mph (Ave 35?) would be fine.. real world 125 a-like contender...
Got a Pug Speedfight 100cc in that Acid Green (its been hiding in the back of the garage un touched and unloved since i fell of it 16 yrs ago)

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

In reply to Waldorf I didn't particularly have any point regarding charging time, just information. I have seen mention of an alternative external fast charger but I don't know if that is available and in any case it might not be too good for battery life. I have a copy of the owners manual and there is a lot of information about the battery management system which seems to protect both the battery and the electric motor fairly strictly. For example top speed mode is only available if battery, motor, and inverter temperatures are within safety limits. This is both reassuring for the owner and a drawback imposed by limitations of the technology. The manual is too big for the forum but if anyone is interested it is quite easy to find via google, its on www.silence.eco.