resonating 400

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
old pete
Current Ride: burgman 400 and firestorm

resonating 400

Post by old pete »

i've bought a 20,000 mile 400 and it runs well, but it has a resonating vibration at around 70mph. is this common?

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Re: resonating 400

Post by Stibbs »

Check the drive belt. If it’s still the original change ASAP.

old pete
Current Ride: burgman 400 and firestorm

Post by old pete »

i was wondering if it might be. i've had a look on youtube and looks easy to change

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Plenty of Videos. Check out McBergsma on YouTube he’s a fount of knowledge and has cracking, explanatory videos. You’ll need to get a couple of special tools. Give yourself time, don’t rush, follow the advice and you’ll be fine. If I can do it anyone can ....

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

if you have the tools, yes its easy. but the damn prices for oem belt jumped. it was selling for $115, now $135. look for a malossi or gates belt. you will need an impact wrench. some brake cleaner. some hi temp grease. you probably will need to replace the rollers and sliding pieces as well. everytime scheduled maintenance comes for the cvt, I always open the clutch to check orings and seals and check the needle bearing in the back. . some sandpaper. 200 grit for the bell and 400 for the clutch pads. while youre there, consider washing the cvt filter. rip it out from its cage, soap water and air dry. and since it open and you dont know the maintenance history, replace the gear oil. I used the same engine oil in the gear. 10w-40. if it smells pungent when you drian whats there, then it may have been gear oil. a different smell than motor oil. maybe 75w hypoid oil. not sure there. in my sym, manual says hypoid gl5 in the b400 I believe it says jaso ma2 10w40. I used liquimoly 100% synthetic.
roller sizes as oem I believe are 26x13 at 21 or 20 grams. many have used 19grams as the b400 is a bit lethargic on takeoff. high speeds will have higher rpm, personally im not a takeoff guy and prefer very low rpm at highway speeds so I would do like mcbergsma and use 21 grams. consider getting the dr pulley sliders. get oem sliding pieces. if they sit loose the plate will wobble too much. another thing to cosndier and this is from bad experience of mine...make sure you arent tightening the bolt on the belt. it will come loose while driving. have you any experience doing bike maintenance?
I would suggest you buy a notebook and start logging everything you do. you will not remember in 12000km what you did before.

I love mitch's videos. I did brake oil as well. I plan to do coolant as well. though I watch his videos to understand the idea and implement that to my other scooters. cheers buddy.