Do you have an opinion on Hi-vis clothing or accessories

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Du PontChardon
Current Ride: SYM Joyride 200i EVO

Do you have an opinion on Hi-vis clothing or accessories

Post by Du PontChardon »

Having been a rider of motorcycles and scooters of all types pretty much constantly since 1978 (how long ago?) when black leather and waxed jackets were basically standard issue and anything brightly-coloured was regarded as sissy - such were the times - I've gradually become a firm believer in 'bright is best' when out riding, regardless of the prevailing weather conditions. I think the TV public information adverts of the 1980's if you recall them, for 'wear bright gear' may have influenced me, plus seeing numerous early morning and evening dark-clad two-wheeler riders seemingly relying for their safety purely on the observation skills and eyesight of other drivers.

Personally, I'm convinced that the wearing of bright and reflective clothing has made me much more visible and imprinted the thought of motorcyclists as vulnerable road users 'into the mind' of drivers in their four-wheeled steamed-up windowed, tin boxes! The wider availability of riding gear that is bright/reflective but also stylish must also be a factor, although I do admit that dayglo-yellow is an absolute pain to keep clean, essential of course for it to fulfil its designed purpose!

So, I was just wondering what others feel about the subject, positive or negative quite welcome.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Do you have an opinion on Hi-vis clothing or accessories

Post by smeghead »

I wear a cheap hi viz vest over my gear. When it's really filthy I change it for a new one as they only cost a couple of quid.
My opinion is that I want to stand out and give the car drivers every reason to see me, it just makes sense.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I always have some hi-viz on. But then I'm the sort of person who has spec'd ABS on every scooter ever since 2002, enjoys having traction control, and always sticks wide-angle mirrors on (except for the Satelis, which had them built in anyway). I'll take every practical advantage, thanks.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

smeghead wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 am My opinion is that I want to stand out and give the car drivers every reason to see me, it just makes sense.
I agree; I understand the oft-used argument that hi-viz doesn't prevent motorcyclists from being hit by cars but it does help considerate drivers to see and avoid us.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Du PontChardon

Post by Du PontChardon »

Yes, I would say that the vast majority of other road users certainly would not want any kind of collision with a two-wheeler and all the stress and inconvenience that would inevitably result.

iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Post by iansoady »

I've never used hi-vis. There are several reasons for this: it's easy for some versions to merge into the background (think "dazzle" camouflage on ships); however visible you are there's no guarantee that anyone is looking (or more importantly seeing); there is always the possibility of risk compensation - how many times have people said "he must have seen me cos I'm wearing hi-vis" - so people feel protected. I ride as though they haven't seen me and it's a bonus when it's apparent that they have. Some interesting stuff here: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... luorescent

One theory I have is that wearing an open face helmet allows other road users to see you as a human being not a faceless robot although I have no data to back this up.

If I rode at night I would probably consider reflective gear however.

Du PontChardon

Post by Du PontChardon »

An interesting point and your personal experiences iansoady. I have never experienced nor could imagine a scenario whereby modern yellow or orange hi-viz/reflective gear would somehow merge into any background, unless you have large hi-viz billboards positioned on the roads near where you choose to ride! Ships in wartime, subject to submarine attack, were painted in a manner to break up their silhouette on the skyline - had they been painted dayglo I'm sure the U boats would have had a field-day sinking them, being so very obvious. Back to today's road users though, even if not looking, there's a good chance I would say, that even a less than sharp-eyed motorist would notice dayglo-yellow, in fear of it being a motorcycle traffic cop, Traffic Warden or even a lollipop crossing person if nothing else. At the very least, they could use no excuse for that having seen them following an accident. Surely, until the recent widespread use of bright gear, the popular driver's response was 'I didn't see him' not the reverse.

I did once read of the open helmet/no helmet argument by, I think by some extremists at MAG - you know, that band of people who, since the 1970's, if you regularly paid your subscription to them, planned to influence certain libertarian politicians repeal the helmet law, stop the CBT and 125 learner restrictions, remove ABS on motorcycles etc etc.

I do applaud your defensive riding techniques though and wish you safe riding.

iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Post by iansoady »

I don't think my argument re open face has anything to do with MAG especially their more extreme wing!

Another article: https://revelatoralf.com/2018/11/03/to- ... -question/

My firm belief is that the rider has to take complete responsibility for their safety and not rely on others doing what is expected / mandated.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

When commuting, I used to clothe myself entirely in hi-vis clothing. These days, as I hardly ever ride at night, I am less worried. Which isn't to say I don't use it. My normal winter jacket is black/yellow, and I have several hi-viz vests for darker days. I'm never sure though of how visible a hiviz vest is from behind if you have a topbox - doesn't the topbox obscure the view? I therefore tend to wear long sleeve vests in poor conditions.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

I used to ride in a black Belstaff coat, I then added an ex plod reflective Sam Browne. These days I wear a yellow gilet but I try to practice defensive riding all the time.
All other road users are idiots who are out to kill you deliberately or otherwise !!!