Hard Forza 300 Suspension

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Hard Forza 300 Suspension

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, my experience of big(ger) wheel scoots including the SH is that the claim that they ride better than small wheel scoots is very dubious. I found the SH terribly uncomfortable in every way. Nice engine though....

Tyres can make a difference to ride quality, some seem to give a harsher ride than others, though its hard to tell which might be better without buying them all!

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

Sorry for late response - been away on holiday. According to the riders manual the max weight for rider, passenger, luggage, and accessories combined, is 397lb ( just over 28 stone). As I only ever ride solo, I am nowhere even close to the max rider weight limit for the bike. If I set the rear shocks to a higher pre load, that would make the ride even harder and more jarring for me. I have had reasonable suspension on a Honda S Wing 125, 250 and 400 X Max's, Piaggio X9 500, 400 Burgman, so from my experience on other scooters, my weight should not be a problem. My Honda SH 300 had rock hard suspension, and I quickly sold it. I will adjust tyre pressures as suggested, to a couple of pounds less than recommended, and try slackening off the rear shocks a notch, again as suggested( currently set on 3 out of 5) and see how I get on with that. Thanks for the replies

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

At about 11 1/2 stone I'm not directly comparable, but...
Initially I put the rear units on notch 1; now they're bedding in and were wallowing a bit I've upped them to notch 2 which feels better. The front suspension was initially harsh but is improving; I think the front of my Xmax 300 was better but the rear was worse! And the Honda seat is better...
At my weight I usually run scooter tyres at 2 psi less than book.
I think the Michelin City Grip on the Yamaha had a better feel than the Honda Pirellis.
Good luck!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Tyres make a heck of a difference on the back wheel on a scooter.

The Older city grips as I`ve often waffed on about are very soft and really add to a comfier feel and absorb more shocks well.

Metzlers on the other hand are like fitting iron bars instead of shocks !!!

The City grip 2 is not as forgiving or as soft as the old version but still better than most. And overall very good.

I used to find the Conti`s were quite soft, the old Diablos were good too but now but Pirellis went to a harder better handling set up trye wall wise it seems.

If you can find an old std City grip on ebay etc it will really help on the back of the Forza, buit also so will some YSS shockers.

If you have a tyre place nearby with a few scooter tyres in ask if you can do the on the groun push down test and see how soft the sides walls are, soft wise, Metzelers barely give at all for instance. So Ouch.

Even on my T max with a proper swinging arm, the Feel Frees were grim on naff roads etc.

These YSS shocks have a thinnish spring so will be more so comfy but also a lot of very good adjustment too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284434415621 ... SwKz5dyRxj

A very good investment.

I keep meaning to write to Royal Enfield as ask them to make a mid sized scooter with a proper swinging arm so you have much better handling and comfort etc.

One with the new 350 engine would be superb.

I might just do it tomorrow.

I`m not about here as much as falling to pieces, age etc.

Good luck with your back end !!!

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

My bike is fitted with Pirelli Diablo tyres. The back tyre pressure was a bit high when I checked yesterday, and I lowered both tyres to 2 lb below recommended pressures, and slackened off the rear shocks one notch to position 2. I went out for a ride of about 40 miles and found ............... no difference at all! I do tend to ride on minor roads around the hills and moors, and a lot of the roads are in poor condition with lots of bumps, potholes , and ruts etc. The scooter is better on main roads, which is probably what it was designed for. I also think age is a factor ( I am fast approaching 72yrs ) and I do find motorcycles generally, to be more uncomfortable, than I did in the past. I currently have my V strom 650 up for sale, as I am struggling with the clutch and gear change due to problems with hands and feet. It will be twist and goes for me exclusively, now, I think. I will maybe do shorter trips on the Forza and try to keep to more main roads, and avoid the rougher, minor ones. I will try different tyres, when I get some more wear out of these ( if I keep the bike that long). The YSS shocks look good, but a bit pricey for me. I would consider them, if I was committing to keeping the Forza long term, but given my track record for changing bikes, that seems unlikely. I can feel a bigger scooter coming on.
Thanks for the replies chaps - some good info there.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

The same here, lovely, but crap ( excuse me ) rural roads in North Yorkshire.

I have a silverwing and they are more forgving as a half type swinging arm.

My buggered bits just can`t cope any more, especially my neck.

I truly never understand over 20 years after the T Max why no manufacturer yet made a mid or smaller scooter with proper decent rear suspension.

I think Diablo`s, ( hard to find now ) are fairly soft on the rear.

Its the engine pivot shafting you up the rear thing thats doing you in.

I`m the same though RE actuial bikes, I just can`t cope with the possition etc.

I`m not sure how tall you are but I`d consider a 2nd genration T Max and part ex your Forza if over 5` 10 " or a good 30+ inside leg.

The suspension is streets ahead of the Forza, different league really. They also do an adjustable YSS shock makes the T max very very much more comfortable too.

I ride locally with a mental note of where the really nasty bumps and holes or road dips etc are.

But the other day a car forced me right over a real right wrong un I keep in mind, It felt like my head nearly lifted off my spine.

Gawd knows how bad that would of been on a Forza !!!

Good luck

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

I know what you mean, I know most of the bad bits of road on my normal routes, and I can miss most of them, like you say. I busted the radiator on my X Max 400 a couple of years back, when I hit a pothole I didn't see on a sunny day, riding in a shaded area, at about 45 mph, under a canopy of trees. I hit it with a big crash and only just managed to stay on. It certainly makes you keep an eye on the road surface ahead. I have not ridden a T Max but it's one I am thinking about for the future. At 6'3" it may suit me better. They are fairly expensive, and there are not too many around, used. The Forza really is a very decent scooter, albeit a bit small for me, and apart from the ride quality over rough roads it is fine. I have chopped and changed bikes too much in recent years so may keep it for a while before getting different scooter. A T Max is a distinct possibility.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

T-Max a roomy, comfy, fine handling, high-speed sofa compared to the smaller, swinging engine scooters!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

The Tmax IRC has rising rate rear suspension. Have never liked that type of setup as it doesn't suit everyone. You cannot make a manual adjustment. Thankfully most scooters are a manual setup, but it does require owners to play with the settings to get the best out of it. From experience many owners find this difficult. But as previously said by others, matching good tyres to your type of riding can improve things overall if you are prepared to experiment with the suspension. I've never yet met anyone who hasn't been able to get pretty much the best ride out of there bike with a bit of faffing around. ;) Of course, some bikes will still be better than others!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

horobags wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 am Just sold my SH300 as two up the shocks are quite harsh even when adjusted, but not the only reason.
Be interesting to learn of the other reasons for disposing of the sh300