Restrictor for 650

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
johnrichards07
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Restrictor for 650

Post by johnrichards07 »

At the moment i only have an A2 licence my son has a burgman 650 and says i can have first choice for it . I was wondering if there is a restrictor kit for it so i can use my A2 licence

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Restrictor for 650

Post by Data »

Hello John. Confirming you can ride your son's 650 Burgman on an A2 once restricted. However, Suzuki don't appear to list a restrictor kit for it as far as I know. I could be wrong though as it's a while since I was in the trade. It may be more complicated to restrict the 650 due to the complication of the ECVT which relies on a set amount of power to operate correctly. Any restriction may have to include a new map for the transmission.

I've had this complication on other auto bikes and indeed cars. Although it's fine if the manufacturer offers a kit for it as they will know best what has to be done. I must say I personally would not look forward to riding s restricted Burgman 650. I've had two & they barely made enough power to take me and my luggage at very high motorway speeds on the continent. After all, they weigh near 1/4 tonne at the kerbside without you on it. I would strongly suggest looking at getting the A2 ready Burgman 400 which is lighter & just as capable, with the bonus of being more reliable & cheaper to maintain & run. Good luck though and please let us know how you get on.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

johnrichards07
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by johnrichards07 »

Thanks for the reply i think like you say i might just as well get the 400

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes the 400's are fabulous bikes. I've had one, a 2012 model which I kept for 5 years. Never any trouble and was pretty quick even with a passenger. Good on fuel too. The motors on all 400's after 2010 were good for around 100,000 miles if you service them correctly and make sure you use a fully synthetic motorcycle oil. You can't go wrong with the 400 which is easy to service and trouble free. Both the Burgman 650's that I had broke their transmission belts at 35,000 miles and 45,000 miles respectively. I later found out both bikes (company bikes) had been run in hard using the Motorman fast run in technique by my colleagues who didn't understand anything about ecvt. This buggers the metal belts. They get too hot doing that which stretches and weakens them. It warns you in the handbook to stick to the normal run in technique but some folks are idiots and don't read the handbook. Luckily, I'm a tech and worked in engine design and development at the time. But it still took me around 22 hours labour on each one to fix them at a cost of (at the time) £2,600. You need to replace the bearings in the gearbox too as the belts often take out a bearing or two and you cannot risk reassembly without replacing them all. Anyhoo...do let us know if you get the 400 and what you think of it.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...