Smart key Questions

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Smart key Questions

Post by Sylar »

I have had my Forza 350 for 4 weeks now. Just done the first 600ml service. Though iam getting used to it, i have some questions about this smart key system. When you put the bike away ( in the garage) in my case, do you have to put the red light on the key , to save battery?. If the engine is started and you move away ,say ten feet or more would the engine stop if you were out of range? I have also fitted a lower mudguard as i was not happy without one.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Smart key Questions

Post by Waldorf »

I think you don't HAVE to switch the key off when the bike's put away but I always do, simply to save the battery in the key - I am led to believe it does.
In my experience, walking away from the bike until one is out-of-range while it is running does not turn it off.
That means, however, that if one was to ride off and leave the key behind, one would complete the journey but be unable to start the bike, having turned it off, when wanting to ride back.
HTH
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I had my 300 for 3 years and hardly ever shut off the key - didn't do it any harm.

What I believe it does do though, if you're worried about it, is make it harder to remote scan.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

What Waldorf said.
I did experiment...and found that if I leave the key switched on, in the house but within about 6 feet of the Forza 350, I could start the bike and ride it away - and it would keep going until you switch it off.
So yes, a good idea to always switch it off when not in use - only takes a second! From memory, I think the handbook gives a key battery life expectancy, and the 'key' light on the dashboard will flash when the key battery's getting low.
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Don't know about the Honda, but the Yamaha system works exactly as Waldorf and Greyerbeard say. You can wander away from the scoot with the engine running, or ride off without the key if you leave it at the house! I nearly did the latter once....
I obsessionally turn the key off to save the key's battery - which makes the system much less handy IMHO - but battery life is limited - around 2 years, but this can vary immensely with useage and the type of battery you have. Make sure you have a spare battery handy!! You are completely knackered without the smart key.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Thankyou for all the Quick replies. Iam learning more each day. The Shad fitting kit arrived today so i fitted it, i can now use my Shad to p box on the Forza, or the Cruisym.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Don't know about the Forza but on the Xmax if the key dies or gets lost during a run it will keep running,
after all you would not fancy it switching off in the outside lane of the M1,
If you switch off and the key is off or not in range it bleeps at you and you have a short time to restart
the scoot to get you home,
Also in the key fob is a number or should be that if the key wont work you can enter to start it as a get
you home, it's complicated and has to be done at every start but it can get you out of trouble.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Forza 750

I don’t normally turn the key fob off,i thought it goes in to sleep mode.If I remember correctly the tracker was free when i purchased my Forza,then you had the choice of taking out the yearly subscription,which i did,when i use the scooter i have the key on a lanyard around my neck,if i am outside tinkering with the scooter and i leave it running for any reason,i need to be careful not to wander to far as i clear up,normally after oiling the chain,otherwise the bike and key stop talking,the Forza thinks its being stolen,it then sends a signal to Datatool who in turn phone me and ask if all is well with the Forza,i now try to remember to put the tracker into garage mode via the app,i usually schedule the tracker to be reactivated after 30 minutes.I put a new optimate lead on the other day and of course i needed to undo the battery terminals,completely forgot to put the tracker into garage mode,had an alert within minutes on my smart phone
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"