My mistake

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

My mistake

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I went to a shopping centre to buy my grandaughter a birthday present, and looking for a convenient place to park found what I thought was motorcycle parking, so asked the security guy about it. I thought I'd turned off but I'd only flicked the kill switch! I chatted to the man and then returned to my scoot to find the battery flat. (the headlights had still been on)
I eventually locked up and did my shopping leaving the scoot in what turned out to be an assembly area!
By the time I got back the battery had sufficiently recovered and after disconecting the headlights and a few pushes on the starter it started up.
I'm going to put a switch in to disconnect the headlights when I start, to stop it happening again. Has anyone done it? I'm not an autoelectrician but I'm quite electrically savvy so not worried about doing it, but I just wondered if anyone had done it to their 400, and where had they accessed the headlamp live feed. Any suggestions or tips gratefully accepted.. Bike is a Burgervan 400 2012.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Re: My mistake

Post by newscooter »

Does it not already have a load shedding relay for starting ?

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Not according to my Haynes manual. I think the Yuasa battery was put on when I bought it in Feb 21. Since I also have a car neither of them get used more than 1-2x per week and only for short journeys. I've already replaced the battery in the car, bought a few months after the Burgman, so I'll get a new battery at the same time.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hi 2wheelover51, yes your bike does have a load shedding circuit to shut the headlights off when you press the starter button. Of course as you know, this is to allow the full amperage available from the battery to go straight to the starter. After releasing the starter button the headlights will switch on. Do not attempt to fit any other inline switch to cut the headlights as this will interfere with the existing electrics.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Thanks for the advice Data. I remember you did ask me to give you a review of how I found the Burger after I'd had it a while.
It's going well, I've not covered a lot of miles, (about 3.5K) but it always fires up and hasn't let me down so far. I just do regular oil and filter changes, replace pads, and inspect the variator when I think it needs it, etc. It's fast enough for me and gives me a regular 70-75mpg. I'm still on the same tyres and have only had to replace a headlight bulb! It uses no oil. It's comfy enough and the brakes are among the best I've ever had on a two wheeler. (second only to the T-Max) There's no corrosion worth mentioning either. The only down side I'm aware of is spinning the rear wheel up a few times accelerating away from wet roundabouts (I see they've fitted traction control to later models,) so a steady hand needed in the rain, due I think to the 13" rear wheel.
Otherwise it's all good! I have thought of getting a replacement but I can't think of anything which matches the practicality of the 'Burger!
PS I hope you are keeping well after your recent health problems.
Peter.

dogwheel
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by dogwheel »

I had a similar experience, I stopped at a garage to talk about cars! flipped the sidestand down and left the "ignition" switched on, didn't notice the headlight blazing away, (as much as a Burger's does) --needed a jump start, so now I'm much more careful.
My excuse--My formative years were spent with proper Magnetos! which always worked, until they didn't.
Robin.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

2wheelover51 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:20 am Thanks for the advice Data. I remember you did ask me to give you a review of how I found the Burger after I'd had it a while.
It's going well, I've not covered a lot of miles, (about 3.5K) but it always fires up and hasn't let me down so far. I just do regular oil and filter changes, replace pads, and inspect the variator when I think it needs it, etc. It's fast enough for me and gives me a regular 70-75mpg. I'm still on the same tyres and have only had to replace a headlight bulb! It uses no oil. It's comfy enough and the brakes are among the best I've ever had on a two wheeler. (second only to the T-Max) There's no corrosion worth mentioning either. The only down side I'm aware of is spinning the rear wheel up a few times accelerating away from wet roundabouts (I see they've fitted traction control to later models,) so a steady hand needed in the rain, due I think to the 13" rear wheel.
Otherwise it's all good! I have thought of getting a replacement but I can't think of anything which matches the practicality of the 'Burger!
PS I hope you are keeping well after your recent health problems.
Peter.
Excellent! Glad you are getting along together. Thanks for the review. They are one of the best in their class.b
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Not had to try it yet but got one of these from Liddel a week or so back.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/ultimate-speed ... /p10007894
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Aye, Just wish I'd had one the other day! I must keep my eye out when next in Lidyl, thanks Ralph.