Tmax drive belt snapped

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Betty
Current Ride: Tmax 530 DX

Re: Tmax drive belt snapped

Post by Betty »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:58 pm
Betty wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:56 pm Bit worried now the V belt has just started slipping on my Mk6 when given full beans and i'm on 10k Yamaha want £700 for the 12k service which includes the Belt change.
The Mechanic said it sounded like the Rollers needed replacing.
Seems very premature....I've just replaced the V-belt on mine after 12k miles, and everything was fine and the belt looked brand new. Also replaced the rollers which looked fine after 12k (or maybe18k) miles. I put MrPulley sliding roller thingies on instead as they are supposed to last longer. You may have an issue, but it really shouldn't be a wear problem after 10k miles, unless you REALLY thrash it.

Thinking back...there was a problem with early mk6 CVTs - I had some funny issues when running, and it seemed to get stuck at 6000rpm. Yamaha could be persuaded, albeit with difficulty, to replace the whole unit under warranty.
As well as the Belt & Rollers they suggest i order Sliders i guess it covers all wear issues.
Betty the Scoot

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hello Betty, belts don't normally slip unless they are near to or about to break. Even very worn belts don't normally slip. The impression the belt is slipping is often caused by the rollers sticking due to dirt & other debris in the variator.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Betty wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:42 pm

As well as the Belt & Rollers they suggest i order Sliders i guess it covers all wear issues.
The DrPulley sliding thingies replace the rollers, but they also sell some 'sliding pieces' the function of which I can't fathom.

Thinking back to my CVT problem, it did give the sensation of slipping...ie revs would rise but no extra drive would occur, but this would only be a high revs and speeds.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Data wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:40 am Hello Betty, belts don't normally slip unless they are near to or about to break. Even very worn belts don't normally slip. The impression the belt is slipping is often caused by the rollers sticking due to dirt & other debris in the variator.
Or the clutch pads need replacing.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Betty

Post by Betty »

Funkycowie wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:53 am
Data wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:40 am Hello Betty, belts don't normally slip unless they are near to or about to break. Even very worn belts don't normally slip. The impression the belt is slipping is often caused by the rollers sticking due to dirt & other debris in the variator.
Or the clutch pads need replacing.
We shall see :shock: i'm hoping it's the rollers sticking i'm letting the shop do it as they gave me a good price as i did a YTS there about 40 years ago :D
Betty the Scoot

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

If its your clutch plates, that is very premature wear.

I rag my Tmax everywhere once warmed up and yet my plates were fine until the slip started at 46,000 miles.

Sod paying the OE Yamaha clutch plate prices (which are eye-watering), I got a Malossi full clutch plate kit for about £95 and modified my variator holding tool to fit the clutch pack so I could undo/re-tighten the basket retaining nut. I also fitted uprated springs to my clutch basket for taller RPM lock-up. The compensator spring on the secondary sheave is a yellow Malossi racing spring that gives an extra 500rpm of 'kickdown' under heavy acceleration.

With the 16 gramme Dr Pulley slider set in the variator, yellow compensator spring and Malossi clutch kit all combined it rides really good.

Betty

Post by Betty »

New V Belt, Rollers and Sliders fitted and Betty is running as smooth as silk , feels like a new scoot.
V Belt looks brand new but the Rollers have small flat spots just pleased it wasn't the Clutch :)
Betty the Scoot