CVT! problems?

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

CVT! problems?

Post by knight2 »

I have a problem with Burgman 650. There are no F1 warnings or any other warnings on the dash, it starts ok, the mode button seems to be working ok and the power button seems to work. But if you ride it it seems to be stuck in first gear even in automatic mode, try to use the gears and it selects first but won't change up. It gets up to about 28mph reving a lot and thats it. It has no horrible noises and rides fine up that speed.
IT's a 12 plate with the new type engine and 24801 miles on the clock. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. My first thoughts were a worse case scenario of the dreaded CVT problems, but I live in hope of cheaper problems.
I've just had a look at a video on you tube and he seems to think it may be a faulty side stand switch and to disconnect it and take it off and see if that fixes it. A job for tomorow afternoon.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: CVT! problems?

Post by Dave Weller »

The bike thinks the centre stand is down, there is a sticky plunger on switch that requires oiling and cleaning. A common problem. The switch plunger touches the stand.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

knight2

Post by knight2 »

Thank you, I cleaned the side stand switch this afternoon I didn't realise the mainstand had a switch. I've just been reading the comments on the video I watched and he said he meant the mainstand not the side.

knight2

Post by knight2 »

Thanks again Dave, cleaned the mainstand switch this morning and took it for a run all working fine.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Top Tip for anyone considering buying a good used B650, if the bike been hanging around in a dealers/private nice to know it is something simple.
Your 2012 model will have the stopper bolt / clutch drum improvement mods done so should run sweet for many years to come. Great bikes.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

What a useful thread. Great advice right from the start!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Dave's an old hand & good bloke. Knows a lot! :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Data wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:42 pm Dave's an old hand & good bloke. Knows a lot! :lol:
And forgotten even more..... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

poldark wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:13 pm
Data wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:42 pm Dave's an old hand & good bloke. Knows a lot! :lol:
And forgotten even more..... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Yeah, me too! πŸ˜‚
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

knight2

Post by knight2 »

Just to make sure as the weather was quite reasonable today and I had a free afternoon I took it for a bit of a blast. Went from Sheffield to the southern end of the Humber suspension bridge, A roads there and motorway back a very enjoyable 132 miles. The bike performed brilliantly. I had a little walk on the banks of the Humber and took a few photos (57) of the bridge and the mud banks.
The Humber suspension bridge was the worlds fourth longest when it was built and is still quite impressive now. I wondered as I was looking at it what happened to the main cables as they went over the top of the supporting towers so I took some close ups which I've just been looking at, they just sit in a large U shaped bracket, don't even appear to be clamped down, I assume to allow movement. Don't know what I was expecting but I was quite surprised.