Upper Back Pain

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Upper Back Pain

Post by Argyll »

Age must be catching up on me!

Had my first run of the year today on the SH300i and came back with stiff muscles around my shoulders and below my neck. I think that these might be the Trapezius muscle group, but hard to be specific.

What I'm looking for are some tried and tested exercises if anyone has experienced similar. Oddly, I don't get this riding my motorbike so it must be something to do with sitting upright (ps My posture has never been great anyway).

Thanks

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Upper Back Pain

Post by MrGrumpy »

Can't give you any specific advice, but I've found that some scoots can be very uncomfortable for me, whilst fine for most other people. Good example was the Bev 350ST, which caused great pain in my shoulders and upper arms after around 20 mins, whilst the previous owner toured Spain on it! On the Tmaxs, I get a ache in my left arm after around an hour, which seems to be a result of fracturing my humerous after being knocked off by a stupid woman in a Land Rover Freelander 15 years ago (on my SH300!).

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

Did 115 miles on my Forza yesterday, and returned with a stiff/sore upper back - a few cans of San Miguel during the evening sorted it out for me!
If that doesn't work, there are plenty of NHS recommended back exercises on their websites.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I get neck pain and severe headaches when riding on motorways and D/C's. This is caused by having the screen too high at speed, there seems to be a backdraft that pushes my head forward and causes the pain. The electric screen on the Burgman comes in handy. Windy weather makes it worse.
Many years ago I used to drive an overhead crane in a engineering fitting shop lifting loads up to 200 ton, I loved the job but had to leave because of neck pain and headaches causd by looking down for hours at a time.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I sympathise. Used to get issues myself whilst riding a good few years ago. Regular visits to a chiropractor sorted it out. Now I go just 3 times a year for regular maintenance & have done so for 26 years. Back completely fine now even though my spine is bent & twisted due to all the engineering work I've done. Chiropractor keeps everything in line so the muscles don't protest. If I miss one of my appointments my back soon let's me know it's unhappy & I get all sorts of issues ie: pain between shoulder blades, seriously aching neck, lower back pain, tingling down my arms etc whilst riding. The good news is the chiropractor has stopped my condition getting worse & I normally feel absolutely fine. Anyhoo....worth considering in my opinion.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I have used Chiropractor for 30+ years, thankfully less over the past few years, they are beneficial for numerous skeletal complaints.

What I do know is many pains around the shoulders, & arms are actually neck issues. There are a few useful simple stretches, which must be held for 20+ seconds to be beneficial.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

Could be the neck I guess - just not used to wearing a helmet after several months?