Hello - scooter has been nicked - advice welcome

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Jack Sense
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Hello - scooter has been nicked - advice welcome

Post by Jack Sense »

Hi, I'm a new member from Belper in Derbyshire. I was the happy owner of a Honda SH300i up until the end of March when it was nicked on the day I retired from work! I'm looking to buy a new Forza 350 and would welcome any advice y'all have regarding parking security.
* I'd parked it in an open-air council car park in Derby where motorcycles could park for free - I realise now that if I'm visiting the city, I'll need to park in a secure multi-storey car park which negates one of the advantages of motorcycling; free parking.
* I'd parked it next to a large CCTV camera pole - the police queried the council and it turned out the CCTV wasn't working and 'hadn't been working for a long time' :-x
* I'd double-locked the bike with two (admittedly cheap) locks - the thieves simply pried them off the discs, with a crowbar probably (the broken remains of the locks were all that was left).
* I'd put the raincover on the bike as a further deterrent - looks like that didn't work this time.
In 18 years of motorcycling my bike had been interfered with a couple of times, but this is the first time I've had a bike stolen. The only plus point has been that the insurance payout was surprisingly generous for such an old machine, paying out well over third of the original purchase price.
The SH300i was a fun, fast commuter and had been super reliable over the eleven years I'd had it from new. The reliability is what persuaded me to go Honda again with the slightly more swanky Forza.
I'd welcome any sage advice on locks, city parking, etc. Thanks in advance.

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Re: Hello - scooter has been nicked - advice welcome

Post by Andym »

Sorry to hear this.

I am a new to superscoots Forza 350 owner and very impressed with it. Don't think you would be disappointed. Check the insurance costs though, having come from a 60HP Moto Guzzi I find the increase for a 25HP scooter insane.

Security wise, away from home, I have a steel mesh pouch to keep the fob safe from scanners and a Litelock D-shackle that'll go round the back wheel and shock. If forced, see below I could add a cheap disc lock from my C125. They keyless system is a bit pointless, but it's very complexity/strangeness might help confuse low level scum. The small wheels make using a BFO chain to street furniture close to impossible.

At home (Leeds is a total @#$% hole) I have layers and layers, car parking to block the garage, house alarm connected, door blocker with the best lock you can get, concreted in floor loops and massive chains, steel, aluminium and foam insulation round hinges, mesh under roof panels, CCTV, cordial relationships with neighbors, dog etc.

Honestly though, I just won't go to city centres or certain parts of the suburbs. When they cut the whole brake disc off (mates bike) to take a 5 year old Honda NC from a supermarket in broad daylight and the only reaction was an old guy mentioning their ongoing activity to potential riders inside, we are stuffed. Police are too frightened or busy making Tik-Tok videos to even leave their desks and we know the thieves have knives. Leeds even has car/bike jackers South African style. I have been into the centre once in two years, (on the bus) and don't intend to go again. No physical security will stop that level of lawlessness 🙁👎so I'm afraid changing behaviour has to be considered.

Andy

Jack Sense
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Hello - scooter has been nicked - advice welcome

Post by Jack Sense »

Hi Andy, many thanks for this info. Being an oldish bloke (61) the insurance for my SH300i was relatively low but I'm expecting that to change now I've made a claim.
I'd not thought about the whole keyless/scanners thing - I'll investigate the pouch you mention, ta.
Thanks for the garage security advice too - I've got none of this and it's time to start adding some, I think. The theft anecdotes are frightening - I was speaking to a motorcyclist who knew someone who had his classic machine stolen. The owner had a car parked in the garage blocking access to the bike. They put oil under the tyres of the car and pushed it back a short way to gain access to the bike, then lifted the bike over the car! They'd broken into a neighbour's garage in error the previous night and not taken anything, so this was a targetted theft.
I'm Derby born and bred and try hard to be proud of my city but I can't defend it any longer - it's a @*%*hole like you mention about Leeds. So sad.