which SH125?

For members who own little scooters.
john freeman
Current Ride: sh300+innova

which SH125?

Post by john freeman »

I'm about to buy a new Honda SH125 but cant decide between the 125i and the 125 Mode. Any advice would be welcome.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: which SH125?

Post by capitano »

john freeman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:05 am I'm about to buy a new Honda SH125 but cant decide between the 125i and the 125 Mode. Any advice would be welcome.
The 4 valve motor of the SH125i has more power, more torque, and the spec is better.

The Mode is a decent scooter, and is more of a range-filler between the Vision 110 and the SH125i.

It's smaller physically than the i, not much heavier than the Vision, and as far as I could tell, not much quicker either. The i definitely felt more substantial. A grand more substantial, though?

I know this as I spent some time trying out all 3 (including the Vision 110) trying to decide which one to buy.

My decision? I flip-flopped 3 ways. They are all decent scooters, value for money in their respective ways.

Even consulting the wisdom of Richie the 1st who has had several examples of all 3, I couldn't decide.

Finding a Honda dealer within 30 miles that I actually trusted was another factor. I didn't, so didn't buy any of the 3.

Not much help, other than to consult Richie. Hopefully he'll read this topic.

If not I'll PM him on c90club forum as he's on there more.

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

I've got the SH125i and find it impressive overall. It's ultra quiet at tickover, smooth running, does more mpg than seems possible, will cruise at 65 mph (eventually) and handles well (although mine has got aftermarket shocks). I bought mine secondhand, but it was almost like new. If the cost is a factor in the decision, might be worth keeping an eye open for a tidy used one.

I've also got the Super Cub 125, which I think has similar power to the Mode. I'd definitely go for more power, as strong wind can knock a good 10 mph off the speed.

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

P.S. I see you also have a SH300. The ride is very similar, but with less oomph and a lighter feel.

john freeman

Post by john freeman »

Thanks, Scootabout. I sold my SH300 even though I loved it. I'm 74 and getting frail, so found the 300 a bit heavy. Top speed isnt important as I just want something to travel round town - visiting hospitals, doctors, and other fun days out for geriatrics.

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

right ear goes,having had all 3 honda mode 125 2021 model picked it up from dobles,going back home,it just didnt fill right,and 900 miles later rhat was it,
p/x for 2023 vision 110,the keyless version,bloody slow,i did have a 2013 and 2020 vision,best one is the 2020 version,
now to the sh 125,i have had 3 new ones,the 2nd one was bought with 212 miles up 13 months old,bloody slow,if you get a new one,just use ride it,there just run better used hard from new.
dosent do them any harm,the latest 4/v one i have ridden,does go well,but i did pin it,which they love,even the dealer said use it hard,what do i ride now,2 suzuki address 110,both bought from new ,both used hard from new.no problems from either,hope this has been to some good.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

john freeman

Post by john freeman »

Thanks for that, Richie. Unfortunately, there's no Suzuki dealer near me, so based on the advice so far, and the Mode being lighter than the 125i, I've put in an order for a Mode. You're right about giving these wee bikes some welly - my first bike was a Honda CD90z back in '68 that I flogged mercilessly including touring fully laden round Scotland, and it never gave a minute's trouble - and same with the Innovas and Cub 90's I've had. Thanks again.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

a friend (Bogger ) has just bought a Mode, he loves it and is going to Poland on it soon, light, sweet handling and fast enough.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

horobags wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:37 am a friend (Bogger ) has just bought a Mode, he loves it and is going to Poland on it soon, light, sweet handling and fast enough.
He was going to buy one 3 years ago but bought a Forza 350 instead.

I did think he'd joined MM at the time but membership records say not.