Tmax (keyless) wouldn't start lesson learnt.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Tmax (keyless) wouldn't start lesson learnt.

Post by Data »

Greyerbeard wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:19 am
knight2 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:52 am As a matter of interest as I've never owned a keyless vehicle, my wife had a company car. when I go out for the day I often take a bottle of water and a health bar which I sometimes consume sat on the scooter or if it's on the side stand leaning against it. Would the ignition be on while I'm doing this?
I can only speak for the Forza 350 and X-Max 300, but -

The bike ignition would be off if you turn it off; but the key itself would be live unless you actively turn it (the key) off.
If the key is live and within around 4-6 feet of the bike, the bike ignition can be switched on and the bike ridden away. Once the bike is switched off, it couldn't be started again without the key being nearby.
Hope that's clear!

No, I don't know what was wrong with proper metal keys, either.
The keyless system is designed to be both more convenient & more secure. And it is! Not withstanding the press highlighting the theft of some high value keyless ignition cars, security is far better. You'll note it is no longer possible to tamper with a car or bike at the roadside by common crooks in order to nick it! You need the key fob. Or, you need to trap the key fob signal. But getting the fob is pretty much the best way to do it. So tricksters & fraudsters are finding as many new ways to steal vehicles as they can. This includes car jacking or bike jacking because that's the only other way they can do it. Vehicles that use a key are much easier to steal even if they have an immobiliser chip. It also cheaper to then bring the bike or car back to proper running order with new keys. Funny old world eh!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Good points, but personally I'd rather my car or scooter were nicked by the locks being picked than by someone hijacking me or breaking into my house.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

StephenC wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:59 am Good points, but personally I'd rather my car or scooter were nicked by the locks being picked than by someone hijacking me or breaking into my house.
Quite! Especially when there's usually 12" knives involved...
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

On the council estate just 3/4 of a mile from me they use full blown machetes! Not nice people.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Animal
Current Ride: 2022 TMax + R1250GS

Post by Animal »

Normsthename wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 pm
if I switch the Forza key on but leave it in the house in the room next the garage, then I can still start the Forza and ride it away - which would be a bummer when I wanted to come home from wherever I'd gone!
I have always thought it was a major flaw in Keyless ignition.
You could have the key on a table next to the bike, jump on it and ride 100 miles.
Only when you stopped for petrol would you realise where the Key was........
You would think that the manufacturer would show a warning on the dash that the key was out of range, must be very easy thing to do :|

Andy
Like my Car, and my wife’s car…

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

Chocky wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:17 am I couldn't turn on the ignition on my keyless Tmax in my garage and tried everything for half an hour. The key had turned itself off when I was away for a couple of weeks, which I realised early on but still no joy when I turned the key on. I finally spotted a 'tip' in the manual that said if you are experiencing such problems, try the starter button instead of the ignition switch. It worked! I now know that I can switch the Tmax on with either method, although why I couldn't get the ignition switch to work at the time is still a mystery.
Same with my keyless 2022 Tmax. If I turn the key fob off and then back on, the scooter ignition won't turn on. I have to hit the starter button for the scooter to wake back up.

Betty
Current Ride: Tmax 530 DX

Post by Betty »

Another Keyless problem !
I used to be able to turn the bike on releasing the center stand and wheel it out of the garage then start it,
but now i have to turn it off again and back on and start it within 15 seconds otherwise nothing happens when i push the start button.
I fitted a new Fob battery but no joy :(
Betty the Scoot

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Is there anything around causing interference, perhaps? Other key fobs, movement sensors of car or other alarms, Bluetooth devices, NFC on your phone?

I'm no tech expert so most of those are probably irrelevant, but it might be worth isolating things one at a time to see if it makes a difference?
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

Gatwick airport last Sunday - landed, through customs go to start bike and its dead. Checked the side stand, fob had new battery etc. Started shouting at it which didn't work either. Managed to drag it away from other bikes to a different area in the bike park and it started.

The smart key system uses weak radio waves. The smart key system
may not work in the following situations.
 The smart key is placed in a location exposed to strong radio
waves or other electromagnetic
noise
 There are facilities nearby that
are emitting strong radio waves
(TV or radio towers, power
plants, broadcasting stations,
airports, etc.)
 Other vehicles equipped with a
smart key system are nearby

Betty
Current Ride: Tmax 530 DX

Post by Betty »

Betty wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:17 pm Another Keyless problem !
I used to be able to turn the bike on releasing the center stand and wheel it out of the garage then start it,
but now i have to turn it off again and back on and start it within 15 seconds otherwise nothing happens when i push the start button.
I fitted a new Fob battery but no joy :(
It's seems to have cured itself i'm blaming the damp weather :?
Betty the Scoot