Page 4 of 11
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:20 pm
by MrGrumpy
Data wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:37 pm
Yes Grumpy, and I understand that Starfleet are showing off their new hover scooters on the Starfleet stand. I'll be there!
Does this mean that there will be a scooter fitted with Warp drive before long???? I want one!
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am
by Data
No, the Dept of Transport has banned 'warp drive' scooters. They don't want the roads to be bent and warped out of shape when we "engage" the drive! Oh, wait a minute, they already are! Bugger!

Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:37 pm
by MrGrumpy
Data wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am
No, the Dept of Transport has banned 'warp drive' scooters. They don't want the roads to be bent and warped out of shape when we "engage" the drive! Oh, wait a minute, they already are! Bugger!
I guess hitting a pothole at Warp 9.5 could cause significant warp field instability with potential loss of structural integrity which may cause the warp core to be ejected involuntarily....
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 pm
by Data
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:37 pm
Data wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am
No, the Dept of Transport has banned 'warp drive' scooters. They don't want the roads to be bent and warped out of shape when we "engage" the drive! Oh, wait a minute, they already are! Bugger!
I guess hitting a pothole at Warp 9.5 could cause significant warp field instability with potential loss of structural integrity which may cause the warp core to be ejected involuntarily....
Yes, I've had that involuntary ejection thing! Disappointment all round...

Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:42 pm
by poldark
Just checked out the price for NEC - f**k me £25 on the door!!
If I grow my beard do you reckon I'll pass for 65+ and only have to pay £15, or do they check your ID?
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:07 pm
by MrGrumpy
...and then you have to pay a fortune to park if you go by car, and the food and drink inside is wildly expensive, so its not a cheap day out!
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 pm
by Snail
We would love to go but the cost is ridiculous, compared to say caravan and motorhome show at less than a tenner with free parking, yes i know the later has huge amounts of visitors and exhibitors
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am
by Data
Yes, it depends what you want out of the day.
I rock up, pay my £15 on the door, I don't book in advance because of variables that can creep into life that could cause me to bail out. I spend the first two hours wandering around to get the feel of the place and find everything, then go for lunch and a pint with the guys. On the point about lunch, never had a bad meal upstairs and the prices, well they are what they are and not much different to many other places around where I live. I'm not a tight arse so it doesn't bother me. Suitably refreshed I begin the quest for knowledge on the bikes that I'm interested in. As an engineer I'm fascinated to talk with any other engineers that are on the stands. There are quite often a good few who can converse in the language I'm used to so I can discuss the finer points of crossplane engines, mineral coatings, offset cranks etc And of course, it's just bloody good fun seeing all the nice shiny bikes and having a "proper blokes day out!"...lol.
Hoping to see quite a few of you there even if Meldrew isn't going. Shame, it would be nice to put a face to the "moans" lol.

Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:41 am
by mottza
Well he'll see me there

Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 pm
by EvilRacer329
I'll be there - I've been every year without fail since 2009, and sometimes hit EICMA and Intermot as well, but I'm a special kind of weirdo. There's a journalistic angle, and I'm interested in everything. Plus I love the atmosphere, although I wouldn't mind it being a bit less crowded. I keep meaning to book time off and go during the week, but by November I've always spent all of my vacation time!
Confirmed, food is garbage - pack a lunch instead. Sit on everything, keep an open mind etc. I don't know that you get so many bargains these days - not on stuff you actually want - but it is a great way to try on gear that you might otherwise have to guess at size-wise and order online. I'm a big fan of Knox, and they will measure you up and tailor you anything from their range for free at the show.
I've been known to drive, but I try to ride if I can. The traffic is just too crazy, even if you go early...
Nick