Page 6 of 7

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:01 pm
by maxiscootnz
Pandrop wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm
brennain1 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:49 pm
maxiscootnz wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:53 pm

Yeah i was past there today i think you are referring to the famous Bulcott street bristro
My brother lives in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty area, went to visit hime about 10 yrs back. Lovely area and a fantastic country.
I think a lot of Brits have someone Somewhere in Oz, NZ or Canada
Farkin good job

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:09 pm
by Deleted User 4154
maxiscootnz wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:57 am The later ch250 or freeway post 90 were not the same as the cn250. or ch250 of the mid 1980,s The motor or head was leaning forward at a flat angle rather than upright and had issues with circulation and cooling
Well, I never knew that! That must have been when they re-styled it (badly)?

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:59 pm
by GrahamH
Just a caution, the CN250 used two different brake callipers during it's life, not sure of the change over date but be careful if buying a repair kit. I think either calliper will fit.

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:36 pm
by Deleted User 4154
GrahamH wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:59 pm Just a caution, the CN250 used two different brake callipers during it's life, not sure of the change over date but be careful if buying a repair kit. I think either calliper will fit.
Interesting... how did you discover this? I was under the impression that the same caliper was used throughout, certainly from 1986-1997 which covers the machines I've owned. I've only ever seen one version of the repair kit, and when I bought genuine Honda pistons, Silvers informed me that there was only one piston listed.

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm
by GrahamH
Image


I'm not sure when the brake calliper was changed but there have been two different types. I tend to look on Bike Bandit for part numbers and have copied screen dumps for the 1992 and 2006 Helix. The part numbers listed are different for each year but maybe the pistons and seals are interchangeable. I think they mount on the front fork slightly differently and am pretty sure the brake pads are not the same. In any case worth checking when ordering spare parts.

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:21 pm
by Deleted User 4154
Interesting... just when you think your favourite old scooter has no more secrets to keep! Cheers for that.

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 am
by Pandrop
The bloke I ordered my caliper refurb kit through sent me this picture and asked to select which one was mine as the two different models have different sized pistons
Mine is the one on the left and the kit cost a fiver more for my caliper model ( of course)

Image

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:21 am
by Scootalli
Looks like this is going to be a good project,

Keep it coming with as many pictures as possible as I am not a technically person and need something to look at too :)

These are great projects, but only if you can do the work yourself,

I cant so stick to the new stuff, but I do like the Helix.

Did have a Pacific Coast once very big version of the helix in some ways!

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:21 pm
by maxiscootnz
Pandrop wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 am The bloke I ordered my caliper refurb kit through sent me this picture and asked to select which one was mine as the two different models have different sized pistons
Mine is the one on the left and the kit cost a fiver more for my caliper model ( of course)

Image
My 87 helix has the one on the left and my 91 fusion has the one in pic 2. Honda must have had 2 different suppliers of brake components. A bit like they have with cars. Funny last week i went to the parts supply for some rotor prices as the garage said i would be up for replacement soon big ridges etc. The vin number was given and the parts guy gave me 3 options. All different diameters? The 4WD is only 6 yrs old. I will be checking the diameter personally before order as too not get it wrong. Or i could be a mug and take it to the dealer and get charged a $1000 dollars to do the job

Re: HONDA HELIX PROJECT HAS LANDED !

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm
by Jimo
Pandrop wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:18 pm Update :

This product works on these plastics.
It must be left for 24 hours to set properly , but its worked on this panel which had a long split in it . It will need a sand down and a touch of paint but its bonded the plastic properly, so Panel saved.
Image

As i was cleaning the inside of another panel ready for gluing and leaving overnight to set, a name appeared from underneath all the muck and blather with a date.

Image

Finally ...we knew that the Helix was good , but i hadnt realised she could float . ;)


Image
Thanks for that Bostic Tip, very valuable and worthwhile emergency kit.

Jim